Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Love Furniture Profits Tip: Are Your Ads Ethical Or Misleading Like Some I See?

Furniture World News Desk on 2/20/2015

By David Love
 Love Furniture Profits

Let me explain what I mean.

Here’s from a recent ad right here in Columbia, SC. I'm sure you see the same kind in your town.

“50% off All Posturepedic and (their house brand).” If the reader even sees the tiny asterisk and actually reads the fine print, she will see that this offer includes Posturepedic Classic and Gel Series but excludes Hybrid and Optimum.  So... the fine print names 4 Posturepedic models. Two, or half of them, are excluded. Does this sound like “All” to you? Why isn’t this ad right up front and say 50% off on All Posturepedic Classic and Gel Series models?

“25% off all power bases,” the same ad says. Once again, looking at the fine print reveals that Tempur-Pedic power bases are excluded. Does that sound like “All?” Why didn’t the ad simply say, “25% off all power bases except Tempur-pedic.” Simple, straight-forward, up front, honest, ethical.

On Saturday, my wife took a “All bedspreads on sale” coupon in to Belk’s (a Macy’s - like department store in the south) to buy a new spread. Upon taking one to check-out, she was informed by the clerk that the one she wanted was excluded from the coupon. “Didn’t you read the fine print?” she was asked. “No,” my wife said. She thought “All” bed spreads meant “ALL” bed spreads. Do you think she has a good feeling about Belk after that experience? Hardly.

Consumers are not stupid. Sometimes it seems, for some reason, our industry thinks they are. I guess the advertiser thinks just getting the consumer to come to the store is enough.

I've been reading up a lot lately on marketing to Millennials. The following quote is from a very interesting article in a recent issue of Sleep Savvy.

“Nothing turns a Millennial off faster than disingenuousness. To succeed with these consumers, you can't simply present yourself as trustworthy and genuine. You must truly be trustworthy and genuine. But it will take a lot to convince Millennials of your dependability and honesty. According to the Pew survey, only 19% of Millennials believe that generally speaking, most people can be trusted.”

The article goes on to say that Millennials will fact-check you almost before your ad hits the street. They also depend very heavily on on-line reviews and recommendations of friends.

‘Til next time, here’s to honest, up-front, ethical advertising.

These little weekly articles can only scratch the surface. To find out more, go to www.lovefurnitureprofits.com to download your $97 (but free to you) Special Report. “5 Long Lost Secrets of Scientific Furniture and Mattress Advertising that work like magic in today’s economy to get you more customers, more sales, more profits.” David can be reached at david@lovefurnitureprofits.com. Phone: 803.764.3977.

About David Love and Love Furniture Profits: Love Furniture Profits is an advertising consulting and coaching firm which works with a wide variety of furniture and mattress stores to help them slash advertising waste and pocket more profits. His typical client is someone who is good at what they do. Buying, display, sales training, deliveries. All the normal store functions. What they struggle with is getting enough people through the door. That’s where he can help.
Advertising That Sells

Articles in Advertising That Sells