Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

High Point book signing event to debut “Elements of Furniture Design” by Scott Coley

Furniture World News Desk on 3/31/2024

The event will be held at 1009 North Main Street, High Point, NC, a mile north of the IHFC building.
The event will be held at 1009 North Main Street, High Point, NC, a mile north of the IHFC building.

The Bienenstock Furniture Library announced that it will host a book signing event with award-winning furniture designer and author Scott Coley during the High Point Market on Friday, April 12, from 5 to 7 PM.

The “Elements of Furniture Design” is a comprehensive look at the history, elements of construction, and all the steps in furniture design from an expert in the industry from an insider’s perspective.

“I wrote “Elements of Furniture Design,” said Coley, “for anyone interested in furniture design from a creative and craft perspective.

“My goal is to pass down the lessons I learned at Kendall College of Art and Design, from my study of furniture engineering at Catawba Valley Community College and 30 years of experience working with other furniture designers and manufacturers. I hope this book will also encourage talented students to enter the furniture design profession.

“The elements of design presented in this book are essential, and there is no other resource where industrial designers, interior designers, furniture designers, marketers and merchandisers and students considering a career in the furniture design field can find this information in one place.”

Coley noted that readers will gain a comprehensive knowledge of how furniture is designed, presented in four sections:

A brief history and quick designer reference guide to woods, veneers, wood joinery, comfort, architectural resources and drawing tools.

• Furniture construction principles and techniques.
  • A guide to the history and usage of furniture ornamentation, including molding, turning and carving.
  • How professional furniture designers work with clients to create new designs and home furnishings collections.

Throughout “Elements of Furniture Design,” the work of cabinetmaker Thomas Day (a free man of color who manufactured furniture in North Carolina in the mid-1800s) ties the story together. Along the way, readers will learn trade secrets of furniture design that have been lost to outsourcing and offshore manufacturing.

“Elements of Furniture Design” is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Bookshop.org and Target. Visit https://www.scottcoley.com/book for more information and quick links to these booksellers.

About Scott Coley: A multi-Pinnacle award-winning furniture designer, Coley earned a BFA in furniture design at Kendall College of Art and Design. He is a former president of the International Society of Furniture Designers (ISFD). Throughout his 30-plus-year career, he has designed furniture for some of the largest furniture makers in the US, worked with historical associations and celebrities, and has sixty-four US design patents. His family has deep roots in the home furnishings industry. He is also a collector of furniture made by the cabinet maker Thomas Day.