Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Doing Retail Right Retail Furniture Tip #6: Never Underestimate the Add-On Sale!

Furniture World News Desk on 12/15/2012

This is the sixth in a series or excerpts from a new book by retail furniture store design and planning experts Lou Kief and Bill Walls titled, "Doing Retail Right", a new book available from the major online booksellers in print and e-reader formats.  For more information on this book, or to order, visit www.DoingRetailRight.com.  

Shoppers are wise to the old warranty add-on hustle and will lose their temper with salespeople who try to high pressure them. BUT, they have grown to love and actively look for magical little things they can buy while standing at your cash register.

Give this important category serious attention when you are shopping for new products. Choose well and buy deep. They don’t need a salesperson and sell themselves.

Shoppers love items that have a unique, useful purpose as opposed to useless, whimsical trinkets. Keep them happy by finding things they need, or didn’t know they want, and watch your inventory disappear and sales increase.

Remember:

“The odds of going to the store for a loaf of  bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread  are three-billion to one.” - Erma Bombeck

About The Authors: Lou Kief & Bill Walls live in Guadalajara, Mexico after a forty year career helping retailers create successful stores. They share their home with Katrina,a huge, not very lady-like, Neapolitan Mastiff, three Mexi-cats; Diego, Frida & Trotsky, and Rocco, a pushy Amazon Parrot.

Recommendations:

“After building and remodeling over 3 acres of retail space with Lou Kief and Bill Walls I heartily recommend their professionalism, expertise, integrity and creativity! I would invite anyone looking to improve sales performance or their store’s professional appearance to read their book; “Doing Retail Right!” -George Moore, COO, Wilcox Furniture, Corpus Christie, Texas

“You have given RETAIL a BREATH! I am overwhelmed by the scope, the simplicity and the heartfelt delivery.” - Steve Drake, The Villages, Florida

“Retail ideas combined with Life Lessons. I read it as a call to action for veteran retailers who are facing a crossroads.” - Pat West, West Consulting