Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Mengel Furniture, Mengel Man, Permanized

Does anyone have historical information on Mengel Furniture. I have a dresser and night stand that are marked "Mengel, Mengal Man, Permanized". I have also seen advertisements for Mengel Furniture on E-Bay but can not find any historic information on Mengel Furniture except that it was made by C.C. Mengel from Louisville, KY by the Mengel Box Company/ Mengel Furniture Company. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted By Candice Pharo, 7/19/2005

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From Trailrunner, 10/7/2017  12:37 PM

I Have just purchased a Mengelbord writing desk and not by the designer Loewy.  It is solid wood, oak I believe and no veneers. It has dove tail joinery and brass locks on two of the drawers which work with keys. The stamp on the bottom of each drawer and on the bottom of the bottom of the top is in white with the word "Mengelbord " and the "M" man logo. There are no screws, braces or any other metal. Looks a bit primitive but very well made. It seems to have had an original light stain, then someone put a type of paint stain over that and finally someone put a darker stain over the body but not the draws. Does anyone have a clue as to what "period" this belongs to? It is definitely not modern. 

Ellen 

From Geneva, 10/10/2016  1:30 PM

Yes please! Oh hooray!
Would not need all 10 - will email you at the gmail below once I get to storage to doublecheck the number. 
Did my previous email to the lori gmail address get through? We can move our  discussion there.
Jenn/Gen

From llaur, 10/10/2016  9:19 AM

Hi, I still have Mengel drawer pulls (round, blond, brass center) if you are interested in them.

From Geneva, 10/9/2016  11:02 PM

Also looking for Mengel drawer pulls (round, blond, brass centre) and refinish advice. 

From Lisas, 2/11/2016  10:44 AM

I have Mengel kitchen cabinets with the metal plate, probably original handles . My house was built in 1959, and in the future I want to remodel my kitchen with new cabinets and was seeing if anyone would need retro cabinets or I may just paint them and use them elsewhere. My email is: lisas7769@yahoo.com

From Suzanner, 8/11/2015  11:01 AM

I am new to this board and do not know very much about furniture but I have been reading the posts here. I have a beautiful mengel china cabinet that I picked up free, curbside. I got into painting cheaper pieces with chalk paint but, as mentioned, never have refinished. The piece has some minor damage, places where it has chipped and scratched and swing handles that are missing. I started researching the mengel name (this piece says permanized) to see if it had value and it brought me here. So my question is, how do I know what the wood is? And approximate value? Is it worth it to refinish or would it be okay to paint. I know, sounds like blasphemy...thank you for your feedback!

From llaur, 7/30/2014  8:05 PM

pibblepal, I do still have the knobs and can send picture to see if they are what you are looking for, email lori.lauritzen@gmail.com

From pibblepal, 7/29/2014  3:57 PM

llaur - Do you still have these knobs available? Please let me know! Thank you!

From pibblepal, 7/29/2014  3:57 PM

llaur - Do you still have these knobs available? Please let me know! Thank you!

From The Swamp Angel, 3/13/2014  2:34 AM

I am still learning a bit about Mengel. I can tell you this much though, the "Mengel Man" logo was designed by my grandfather, Robert Lee Tullis. He was a foreman for Mengel whose mainstay was on the front lines of cutting the timber required to manufacture the furniture. 

He began his career with Mengel in Hickman, Kentucky, a small town on the banks of the Mississippi river. When catastrophe struck in the form of fire (if I recall correctly), the Hickman division was split and half were sent to Michigan and the other half to Mississippi and Louisiana. Fortunately (in my assessment) my grandfather was sent south.

His first assignment was in Basin, Mississippi, near Lucedale. There, Mengel cut cypress and tupelo to turn into quality furniture. It was here that he also took on the pseudonym "Swamp Angel" which he used as he wrote articles for the Hickman Courier, as well as local papers in south Mississippi.  (I have usurped this pseudonym or my own purposes, although I readily admit that I am far inferior to this man whom I never had the opportunity to meet.)

As WWII came to a conclusion in 1945, he was transferred to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to continue harvesting cypress and tupelo in the swamps and bayous of Louisiana. It was here that my father graduated high school from Istrouma High School in 1947, and attended LSU to study petroleum engineering. (How strange it is that a turn of events has created generations of LSU TIgers from a family of Kentuckians since I followed in my father's footsteps and the next generation follows me.)

While my father was enrolled as a student at LSU, my grandfather was sent by Mengel to a small village in Africa known as Dunkwa in the British Gold Coast. (Now known as Ghana.) There, during the course of several trips between 1949 and 1951, he oversaw the harvesting of mahogany in the region and shipped it to the United States. The photos he took and the articles he wrote are no less than amazing in their account of the cultural differences and the respect he held for the indigenous people of the area.

I grew up in eastern Kentucky having been born a little more than eight years after the death of my paternal grandfather. I never had the opportunity to know him personally, but I have been blessed to have been told of his many adventures by my own father, by my Aunt Jane, and through the letters he had written to my grandmother, my father, and my aunt. The adventurous life he lived was a direct result of his employment with the Mengel Furniture Company, and he was grateful for the opportunity it afforded him.

Obviously, he was a "company man" since he found it his great pleasure to doodle away in the evenings and come up with "The Mengel Man" logo that began to adorn Mengel furniture in the 1930s or 1940s.

There are many tales with which I would love to regale lovers and owners of Mengel furniture products, but I am a generation plus eight years removed from the original Swamp Angel and my father has been gone from this earth for twenty years now. However, if I can get back to Laurel, Mississippi to fully "debrief" my Aunt Jane, I will return to tell all that I know of this portion of the Mengel story.

From llaur, 7/18/2013  12:10 AM

Candace, not sure if you are still looking for the Mengel dresser knobs.  If so, we just refinished a permanized mengel dresser and have the original wood knobs with brass in the center.  They are a light blond wood and we have 10 of them.  Let me know if you are still interested.  

From Mslola, 11/14/2012  12:01 AM

I am need of a 4.5 inch Mengel-man drawer pull. The piece has 4 knobs (all in tact) and 6 handles...one handle is missing about 3/4 of its pull. Have pics if someone can tell me where to look! Saved this beauty from a salvage yard in Berkeley CA, this weekend, and would like to give it a new life!  

From RoeLarry, 4/30/2012  8:35 PM

Mengel man mahogany furniture.  Louisville Ky.  My dad worked there in the 1950's. Inspection stamp on rear with a tag.
I have a 2-piece china cabinet, mahogany, w/upper glass doors for sale. There is a wheat engraving on top. I also have a matching small desk w/glass top. Good shape. Pictures available.
Some one was looking for a handle.  I have a few. My mother just passed away. Located in WI.

From Candice Pharo, 7/29/2011  11:33 PM

I have my mom and dad's Mengal dresser with mirror and chest of drawers. The knobs are wood with brass in the middle. I am missing one and would love to find a replacement. I would even be willing to purchase a nightstand if it had the same knobs. Thank you.

From Candice Pharo, 7/26/2011  4:13 PM

Hi i just got a antique permanizea mengel china cabinet. I was just wandering if any one would have any info on it. I can not find anything about it anywhere.

From Candice Pharo, 6/25/2011  10:00 AM

We are buying a 1959 ranch house in Louisville Kentucky. There is metal plaque that identifies the kitchen cabinets as Mengel Kitchens with the Mengel Man logo. We would be interested in hearing if anyone else still has Mengel Kitchen cabinets.

From Tim, 2/16/2011  4:10 PM

Just bought a Mengel Mahogany bedroom set in Pennsylvania. It appears to be in A1 condition. Consists of dresser, chest of drawers, bed and nightstand. $750.00 on Ebay.

From Roy, 1/16/2011  5:47 PM

I have a Mengal Man Permanized 57"(l) x19"(w)x 31"(h) dining room piece that has been painted black and grey.   It has 4 center draws (top drawer has 4 compartments with places to hold silverware) and two side grilled large drawers. The inspection label is on the back and the top left drawer has Mengel Man enrgaved in it. Trying to figure out the approzimate value. Will be selling it shortly.   Any information is great5ly appreciated.

From Nola, 12/28/2010  7:41 PM

I have a Mengel Man Logo Permanized dresser w/ mirror & night stand that is possibly mahogany or cherry...it's dark. I would like to know an approx. value on these pieces. I also have 2 twin beds but not sure if they are Mengel. Any information is greatly appreciated.

From Mark Eppler, 12/4/2010  9:41 AM

I came across your post today whilst looking for info on Mengel. My grandfather was a pattern maker for Mengel from the 30s-50s. Unfortunately, I can provide no additional information, but did find yours useful. Thanks!

PS: The policy at Mengel was that the workers could take home scrap wood, but nothing they could not fit in their lunch boxes. I have a number of chests my grandfather made out of pieces of wood no longer than 12" in length. He used to say that judging by the size of their lunchboxes, there were a lot of hungry workers at Mengel!

From Kris, 10/13/2010  9:04 PM

I have a four drawer mengel permanized furniture stamp in the top drawer. There are two smaller sized drawers and two larger drawers. One of the larger drawers is divided into three sections. Color is mahogny. Size of dresser is 35(w)x32(h)x19(deep). Anybody have any information of the year is was made or the type of chest/dresser it is. It needs refinishing on the top.
Also has some scroll work on the middle of dresser.
Thanks.
Kris

From SEM58, 9/24/2010  10:11 AM

Trying to determine the value of an Ethan Allen Georgian Court Cherry Armoire.

From Tony Krauss, 9/9/2010  3:51 PM

Just bought a Mengel children's desk. It even has the signed inspection paper pamphlet on the back. Must be from Early 50's I guess. I don't need it and I'm going to put it up on craigs list northern virginia for a small profit

From l, 8/16/2010  7:52 PM

I have Mengel twin headboards and a dresser that were my grandparents. My mom says the set was in her bedroom when she was a (deleted), so is thinking it must be from the '40's. I to would like to know if I should refinish or not, and how I can find out more information about the set. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

From grampy, 8/13/2010  4:52 PM

I have a three piece bedroom set w mengel trademark. bed has pinecone or pineapple posts, dresser and mirror, and tall chest all dark mahogany. Any one have infomation on value????Anyone interested in buying set??

Anyone have any information at all????

From sandy, 8/8/2010  1:03 AM

Just looked on ebay for Mengel furniture and only saw one really nice bedroom set resembling my dresser. The bedroom set was 5 pieces and selling for 15,000.00. The selection on ebay was slim so the furniture must be pretty valuable... Lets' hold on to our treasures!!
Any comments can contact me at srotenbe@comcast.net

From sandy, 8/8/2010  12:50 AM

I just got a dresser and mirror, 54 inches long 6 drawer dresser bearing the Mengel-man logo with the inspection sticker still on the back. I would also be interested to know what its value is. It looks like a peice much earlier than the 50's as it has that curvy antique look with the oval drawer pulls. I would appreciate any additional info I can get. It has some veneer on the side but I know its solid wood as it is a heavy beast. I am going to try and repair some small cracks in the veneer and would appreciate anyone who can help with that task aslo.

Thanks,
Sandy

From Ed Garver, 5/31/2010  3:44 PM

I have a 5 piece set,2 night stands,5 drawer chest of drawers,4drawer dresser with mirror, 1 bed full bed, this all cherry valley,what is the value of this set,thanks

From ashley kinghammer, 5/18/2010  9:21 PM

I just purchased a 6 drawer dresser from Goodwill for $30 that has the Mengel Louisville, Kentucky logo in one drawer. I had no idea it could be from the 1950's or earlier!! I love antiques, espically well made dressers as the ones now days suck.

From Agnes Barile, 5/11/2010  9:39 AM

What is the value of a Mengel Man bedroom set (4-drawer dresser with mirror, chest of drawers and bed frame, probably from the 40s.

Thank you.

From william aiken, 2/23/2010  8:34 PM

I just bought what was supposed to be a duncan psyfe buffet but turns out it is a Mengal Buffet, The M has a circle around it and a dot above it and it says, Louisville Kentucky above and below. I was hoping someone could tell me if I should refinish it or leave it original? The damage is minimal but shows. How will it effect the price? And what is it worth today?

From daniel, 2/16/2010  4:49 AM

i have a 1951 girls bedroom suit,my grandparents left me after they died.it was bought here in louisville,ky new.it is a blonde set with a flauless dresser mirror and very heavy!came with head board for queen or full size bed,dresser,dresser bench,chester drawers,nightstand,complete dresser.need to know what it maybe worth.

From Philippa Alvis, 2/11/2010  7:48 PM

I recently purchased a dining room table with 3 leaves and 8 chairs which were made by The Mengel Company. On the cartons for the leaves, the company name and the words Winston-Salem, SC are stamped. The pieces are made of Honduran mahogany in the Chippendale style. The table is 44 inches wide and extends to 101 inches long when all three leaves are used. The table has a mirror finish and the construction throughoutis is far superior to most furniture made today. I plan to sell this set and would like information about the value of this set on the market today. If anyone can help me out, please email me at pandjalvis@verizon.net as soon as possible.    

From John M. Hart, 1/23/2010  6:13 PM

The C.C. Mengel Company owned 880,000 acres extending east to west across the southern parts of the Mexican states of Quintana Roo and Yucatan, north of Belize and Guatemala, from the 1890s to around 1916. The Brooklyn plant suggests that New York Banks were active with the company.

From Connie, 1/18/2010  11:33 AM

Is anyone out there interested in buying it?

From P. H. Baker, 1/6/2010  6:35 PM

I was most interested in all of the emails regarding the Mengel Company. My grandfather worked for the Mengel Company nearly all of his adult life and at one time was secretary-treasurer of the company and, as I heard it, was offered the presidency, which he refused. Two other members of my family worked for the company and I visited some of Mengel's plants, including their furniture plant, regularly one summer in the forties, when I was a (deleted)ager visiting Louisville. I know little about the company and I thank all of the repliers for the information they furnished. P. H. Baker

From connie rae, 10/11/2009  8:37 AM

Dear sir,please read my post. I do have mengel man furniture and it appears to mean a great deal to you. You did post this 5 years ago, so if you would like to know more about, email me at connie.holl@yahoo.com   Thx. Don't miss out on this most important opportuniyy !!!!! It is a beautiful vanity with 6 rounded drawers with the original brass hardware, a 7th drawer under, and the Mengel Man Logo.Also has the bech with the Logo.

From connie rae, 10/6/2009  10:29 AM

I bought a Mengel vanity at a garage sale 2 days ago. It has 7 drawers,3 on each side that are rounded and a middle drawer. It has all the original hardware which are brass and have gone green in some areas.A Mengel bench came with it that has been recovered but still has the original fabric underneath. The bench is stamped with the gold " Mengel Man Logo Permanized Furniture" logo and 519-07 written under it.The vanity has "Made by Mengel" stamped on it with the #10164812 stamped on it. It has the #519-05 stamped on the back of it, not written.It came with a large swivel mirror with the rocker that holds it. There are no markings on theis, so I assume it was added later, as it is in excellent condition. The vanity is scratched lightly. I am wondering does anyone know about these pieces. Please email me at: connie.holl@yahoo.com   I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this.

From Andrea Nichols, 10/4/2009  3:33 PM

I have a Mengel dresser armoire.It has five small, but deep drawers. It has a door that opens to reveal a little closet with a built in rod for hanging clothes. It was left in the home my parents purchased in 1987. My Mom cleaned it up and painted it. It was badly damaged with mold and mildew, but after being cleaned and painted it is still being used in my home today. The back still bears the Mengel inspection sticker and the top drawer has a small plastic(I think it's plastic)Mengel logo embedded on the inside. This piece is very large and very heavy. I also had a matching head and foot board w frame. That is since been long gone when it broke after being jumped on. I love the dresser and I'll keep it and use it for as long as it holds up. It was certainly made to last!

From nancy, 9/14/2009  4:02 AM

I have my grandfather's dresser.Stamped under one drawer is Mengel bord
           DeLuxe Oak
           Mengel
           Louiseville, Ky
Chest is 5 feet tall with brass trim around each drawer, 2 brass pulls on each drawer, and brass rail around top of dresser. My father had this dresser for about 60 years.
It is very heavy-solid, takes 2 people to lift. Sound like anyone else's?

From Melissa, 9/1/2009  5:49 PM

My 10 yr old bought a light colored vanity with bench at a garage sale.($10) Although in pretty good condition, it was an awful goldish stain color. she sanded it down and we painted it. However, now that I look at this, have we made a mistake? is it worth anything anymore?

From Agatha, 8/23/2009  8:14 AM

I have three chairs: two with arms and one with no arms
They have Mangel Company name on them. Chair # 518-82 and order # 2072.
They are light wood with white upholsered seats. I am looking to by one or three more of these chairs.
Thanks

From KHagemeier, 7/21/2009  9:30 PM

Someone should start a Mengel furniture website. I have been researching for years about it. I have a dresser, mirror, and 2 twin bed frames that I inherited from my Great Grandpa. I was offered 350.00 for it from an antiques store owner that I know they would hike the price up another 150.00 in there store. They did not offer me infomation or known much about it.

From charles knights, 7/6/2009  9:24 PM

Mengel had 2 furniture plants in   louisville,ky in the 50's as well as a plant in pensacola , florida which specialized in mahogany furniture. mengel also had plywood plants door plants. mengel box made frames for the auto industry in the 20's They own their ship s in the 1900,one of which was torpeded by a german sub in world war one

From Jane Copeland, 6/16/2009  6:27 PM

I just purchaased a six drawer Mengel chest and dresser. They are really in good condition and eunique. The drawers are rounded inside and the bottom and sides are all one piece. It has patent applied for inside along with the Mengel label.Would love to learn more about these items. Jane @ Crossroads65@ windstream.net

From Denise, 6/7/2009  5:20 PM

I have a "Permanized Mengel Furniture" blonde dresser that I purchased from a garage sale. It has two small drawers on the top that are side-by-side and then 4 large drawers below the small drawers. The paint was a sort of golden yellow and was chipping and dusty so I sanded it off and refinished with just polyurethane since the wood is so gorgeous. The drawers are somewhat molded in the inside so there aren't any square cut corners. It is a heavy dresser and you can tell it's really well made. Has anyone had any luck finding out what these pieces are worth? Thanks, Denise- denisegraphics1@gmail.com

From Doris Vaughn, 5/5/2009  4:28 PM

I have a dresser, nightstand & vanity with a little (looks like ceramic) round logo M with red dot on top and Mengel Man trademark paper on back of dresser. I do not know the wood (looks like walnut). My brother took the paint off as it was somewhat in bad condition and refinished the wood. He says it is walnut veneer, but it is so heavy I believe it is solid. Also, did not see any marks with veneer as is normal. Anybody know the value of this?

From Mike, 4/13/2009  6:25 PM

According to my sources, the buisness was established by Charles C. Mengel as C.C. Mengel & Bros. in Louisville in 1877 as a maker of boxes and lumber. In 1899 the boxmaking part of the company was reorganized as Mengel Box Co. and was controlled by American Tobacco for a few years. The box company merged with C.C. Mengel in 1920 and the name was changed to The Mengel Co.

What was to become the furniture division was opened as the Mengel Body Co. in 1923 at 4th & Colorado (then H Street) to manufacture automobile body parts, in the days when bodies were built with wooden frames. Their furniture production started about the mid 1930's after the automobile industry had changed to steel construction.
Meanwhile the co. had established a large corrugated paper box division to replace the declining sales of wooden boxes.
Mengel stock was bought by Container Corp. of America in 1954, which then decided to sell off the woodworking and furniture divisions and keep the corrugated box operation. The Louisville 12th & Ormsby St. plant (built in 1912 for Mengel Box Co.) was closed and the 4th St. plant (built in 1923 and expanded several times) was sold to Kroehler Mfg. Co., which operated it until 1968 when it closed permanently. Both are no longer standing. The old C.C. Mengel & Bros. mahogany sawmill, later the Flush Door Division, near what is today 5th St. & the Southern RR (built about 1900) was sold to Allied Drum Service which still owns the site. A series of fires in the past 40 years has destroyed most of the old mill, but a few original buildings are still on the site.

The Mengel name finally disappeared when its remaining assets were absorbed into Container Corp. of America in 1960. There is a buisness today in Louisville named The Mengel Co. that builds sun porches, but as far as I know there is no connection with the old company.

From C. Marcus Tullis, 3/30/2009  10:55 PM

I'm tickled to death that Mengel furniture is still out there and holding up well. My grandfather, Lee Tullis, cut timber for Mengel in western Kentucky near Hickman, in south Mississippi near Lucedale, Pascagoula, and Laurel, and in the swamps of south Louisiana around Baton Rouge, Plaquemine, Lafayette, and surounding areas. In the late '40s and early '50s he was sent to the British Gold Coast of Africa (near present day Dunkwa, Ghana) to cut mahogony for Mengel's furniture. He designed the "Mengel Man" logo sometime in either the 1930's or 40's.

Unfortunately, I have no Mengel furniture of my own, but have been trying to find something -- anything -- that bears the Mengel Man logo.

From Phillip, 1/29/2009  10:11 PM

I have a three piece bedroom set from the Mengel Co. in Louisville, Kentucky. It consists of a queen size bed, (4) four drawer dresser and a (5) five drawer vanity with mirror and stool which was purchased in 1959. All pieces are in great condition and I was trying to get information on it's value.

From Gerry, 11/3/2008  9:49 PM

I have what I believe to be an extremely rare, extremely compact, mahogany-boxed crystal radio manufactured by "The Mengel Co." of Louisville, St. Louis and Brooklyn, as the
"Mengel Etherion," apparently in the 1920's or 30's. This has to be from the famed box-makers at Mengel Box Co./ Furniture Co., which I have found did some radio case work for Philco.

Of course, it still works splendidly!

I have tried for years to trace down the manufacturing history of this little radio, and to assess its value.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

From tanya, 10/16/2008  4:55 PM

I have a vanity with the marking Louisville Mengel Kentucky in the upper center drawer. Can anyone tell me the value.

From glenda cochrum, 10/10/2008  2:09 PM

I am currently writing/researching material for a series of articles on the Mengel Box Company. This company was located here in Hickman, Ky., for nearly 30 years and after burning in 1942, it left over 700 people jobless. Some went to other plants in various locations and some stayed here in our community. I am interested in any and all information anyone can provide that would help document the tremendous impact that the Mengel Company had on our small community.....thanks, gcochrum@bellsouth.net

From barb, 8/16/2008  5:09 PM

Here's my little story. I have a desk that my mom acquired from a client of hers. It had a few layers of paint on it, but I really liked it. It has a little damage and I have been in the process of stripping it for about 5 years. Life is busy. At one point my stupid ex put a bottle of car cleaning stuff on it that leaked into the bare wood, that made me too angry to work on it. My mom has tried to convince me to get rid of it, but I know it's a nice piece. My young neighbor has been working on it and I look forward to using it. I have been curious about it's value also.

From Sofia, 8/7/2008  11:30 PM

Hi..I have a "Mengal" blonde bedroom set. It includes the headboard with built in shelves, to nightstands and a dresser and mirror. It was my grandmother's and is the late 1949's or l950. It is stamped in the drawers "perman Zerk" (I think) and then in larger print "Mengal". I am moving and in the process of selling it. Does anyone know what is it worth? Thank you.

From Marjorie Pierce, 8/3/2008  7:28 PM

My grandfather was a salesman at the Mengel Box Company in Winston Salem, NC, in 1917 to 1945 when he died. My father also was a salesman from 1940 to 1958 in Winston Salem, NC. The headquarters was located in Louisville, KY. The factory in Winston Salem produced wood products such as crates for Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, and many other boxes. My father is deceased and I have a lot of documents about Mengel. If you are interested, I would be glad to copy some of his materials. (My father bought the Mengel blonde suite in 1950--headboard, footboard, double dresser, dressing table, 2 bedside tables with 3 or 4 drawers--my mother hated it as she loved antiques. She was happy to give it away in 1970. Wish I had it now!)

From Jan, 7/13/2008  10:21 PM

I have a bedroom set by Mengel from the early 1950s. It is made of blonde solid oak consisting of double bed w/ head and foot-board, two end tables - each w/drawer, and one double dresser (6 drawers) w/ mirror. I need to know a rough estimate of the value of this set. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated!
Best regards, Jan

From Robin, 7/13/2008  8:31 PM

I have a large sideboard that says Mengel Thomasville Kentucky. Above the M in Mengel is a large dot. It looks to me to be mahogany with perhaps a 1940s appearance. It's in fair condition.
If you know anything about this, let me know.
Many thanks,
Robin

From tracy, 7/11/2008  2:20 PM

I have a bedroom set which has a sticker on it...inspected by Mengal Man. I have no idea if that is the name of the furniture and if it might be worth something. It is a queen bed...head and foot board, on end table with a drawer, and a chest of drawers (5) and a vanity with mirror.

Thanks so much.

From Jacqui, 6/29/2008  9:23 PM

I have a Mengel two drawer end table purchased by my grandparents in 1959 I think? I was wondering what it maybe worth? Anyone know?

From Kim, 4/8/2008  3:40 PM

I have a dinning room set; china cabinet, table w/ 6 chairs and a buffet marked "Permanized Mengel Furniture". This was my parents set but, I have no idea how old it is.Are there any old catalogs to be found?

From wayne whistler, 3/30/2008  8:25 PM

I have a bedroom set with the sticker "inspected by Mengel-Man. I was given the set by my parents

From Jean Stewar, 3/29/2008  11:40 PM

I have a dresser that says mengel on it. It is in great shape would like to know the price for insurance reasons gUESSING THAT IT IS FROM THE 1940 OR 1950 THANK YOU

From Steve, 2/27/2008  4:39 PM

C.C. Mengel formed the Mengel Furniture Co. sometime following the Civil War in Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to household furnishings, they also produced wooden washing machines and boxes in various sizes. In order to insure an adequate supply of lumber they operated mills in Belize, British Honduras and Douglas, Arizona (formerly Mexico). Business was such that by the turn of the century they shipped lumber from their mill in Belize to the United States using their very own ship, transporting it inland on their very own railroad.

C.C. Mengel Jr. and C.R. Mengel took over the firm at the turn of the century, which was now called C.C. Mengel & Brothers Co. At the time it was the country’s largest manufacturer of wooden boxes, and also owned a controlling interest in tow other box manufacturers, the Columbia Box Co. and the Tyler Box Co. In the (deleted)s they erected a new 4-story steel reinforced concrete factory at 1100-1200 Dumesnil St. that occupied the entire block between Eleventh and Twelfth Sts. adjacent to the Illinois Central Railway.

During World War II the built jewel bearing and blank for jewel bearings for the US Military. Following the war they started manufacturing doors and windows for the growing construction industry and also built a popular line of home furnishings, specifically bedroom sets, dining room sets and living room furniture.

They were purchased in 1956 by the Kroehler Manufacturing Co. who slowly eliminated their line of furniture, electing to concentrate on their popular doors and windows, which are still manufactured today at their plant on US Highway 42.

From Charlotte, 2/15/2008  6:25 PM

I have a mengel-man dresser w/mirror. The dresser is 55in.wide, 6drawers glass top in very good condition. It has the original inspection stickers on the back.
Im intrestad in knowing the value.I was about to put in a yard sale and thought I would look it up.
Thanks for the help.
Charlotte

From Gary Falk, 12/9/2007  12:47 AM

There is much information on the industrial giant known as Mengle Box Company (later furniture company) in Louisville, KY. If you want more information e-mail me. Gary Falk   gfalk@aye.net (Louisville)

From Mike L, 11/12/2007  8:38 AM

My parents have a Mengel Permatized Dining Room suite consisting of table; 4 chairs; hutch w/sliding glass doors on top, 1 drawer and two doors on the bottom with two shelves inside; and a side board with 2 wide drawers on the side along with two doors below them. In the center of the sideboard are 3 drawers: 2 small and 1 dbl depth.

I'd be interested in finding out the value of these pieces should I decide to sell them. I appreciate any help!!

From john j. mills, 8/19/2007  3:17 PM

Yesrerday 8-18,2007 I just purchased a light colored Mengel Permanized dresser also. It has 3 drawers on the left short side , A door in the middle which opens to reveal 3 sliding shelves and on the right it has 5 drawers which is taller than the left side. also there is a lazy susan with two shelves hidden into the left side of the taller section. Any idea on what this piece is worth or the history?

From ria21, 4/6/2007  6:49 PM

C.C. Mengel formed the Mengel Furniture Co. sometime following the Civil War in Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to household furnishings, they also produced wooden washing machines and boxes in various sizes. In order to insure an adequate supply of lumber they operated mills in Belize, British Honduras and Douglas, Arizona (formerly Mexico). Business was such that by the turn of the century they shipped lumber from their mill in Belize to the United States using their very own ship, transporting it inland on their very own railroad.

C.C. Mengel Jr. and C.R. Mengel took over the firm at the turn of the century, which was now called C.C. Mengel & Brothers Co. At the time it was the country’s largest manufacturer of wooden boxes, and also owned a controlling interest in tow other box manufacturers, the Columbia Box Co. and the Tyler Box Co. In the teens they erected a new 4-story steel reinforced concrete factory at 1100-1200 Dumesnil St. that occupied the entire block between Eleventh and Twelfth Sts. adjacent to the Illinois Central Railway.

During World War II the built jewel bearing and blank for jewel bearings for the US Military. Following the war they started manufacturing doors and windows for the growing construction industry and also built a popular line of home furnishings, specifically bedroom sets, dining room sets and living room furniture.

They were purchased in 1956 by the Kroehler Manufacturing Co. who slowly eliminated their line of furniture, electing to concentrate on their popular doors and windows, which are still manufactured today at their plant on US Highway 42.

© 2004 Mark Theobald - Coachbuilt.com

From c jenkins, 3/30/2007  5:12 PM

25/2007 3:46:35 PM
I am also interested in historical information on Mengel furniture. I have a gentleman's chest/dresser combo in excellent condition. I'm interested in knowing the value. easymoney@alltel.net

From c jenkins, 3/25/2007  3:46 PM

I am also interested in historical information on Mengel furniture. I have a gentleman's chest/dresser combo in excellent condition. I'm interested in knowing the value.

From Keith Swearingen, 1/15/2006  10:18 PM

Hello, I recently inherited a early 40's mengel kithen hutch. In good condition for 60+ yrs old. Any ballpark figure on the value? THANKS. keithswearingen@nts-online.net

From AE Squicciarini, 7/24/2005  8:33 PM

I have a Mengel "Modern" bedroom set, to include the Triple dresser, the chest-on-chest, and two bedside tables. Maple and white-speckled paint and black. They were purchased in 1954 and are in very good but used condition. I am interested to know if there is any market for these items. squicci5@verizon.net

From Guest, 7/20/2005  9:06 AM

Someone posted this information back in April and it is all the information I have. "The Mengel Co., was located in Louisville, KY. Address: 1122 Dumesnil St., Louisville."