Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

FIND HISTORY OF MORRIS FURNITURE PIECES

Hi, I have just been given a bedroom set, believed to have been made in the 1940's, marked "Morris Furniture Manufacturing Company of Los Angeles." I am trying to find some information of the set, and wondered if you could be of any help. The only thing I come up with in a web search is a short article on Barney R Morris, which took me nowhere. I would appreciate any info you could give me. Thanks!

Posted By Barbara Sacco, 1/14/2004

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From couched, 9/19/2019  11:48 PM

My mother (just passed away, hence we have to deal with her stuff) had a "Winthrop by Morris of California" bedroom set (low wide dresser, vertical dresser, matching nightstands).

It's nice stuff, much nicer than what I have, but I'd rather sell than transport.

Is there any reference material I can use to price things appropriately?

Pics can be seen here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/184430166@N07/48729241766/in/photostream/

From Lisa T, 12/26/2016  12:28 PM

I have a Morris dining room seat.  It's been in the family since the 60s at least.  The table is stamped "Serial number 1834".  The table is, what I consider unique is, it folds from the center out inside out.  It also has has two extension pieces which makes the table to 10 feet.  The able mission are 38"W x 52"L x 1"H yet the one inch height deminsion changes to half inch.  It's a medium walnut.  The side chairs are stamped 620-46- WAL and head chair are stamped 620-48-WAL.  It appears they stained the wood first, then applied another layers of what appears to make the grain of the wood more intense character, yet they are fine short lines, to appear a grains of the wood.   

What can anybody tell me?  Curious us to know, was Alameda Street a corridor for furniture to be shipped by rail?    Major railway connection to Long Beach Port.  Alameda Rail corridor is now underground.   

From Diane M., 9/11/2013  2:05 AM

My husbands family has a blonde dining room set with 4 side chairs and 2 arm chairs as well as side unit with sliding glass for displays and 3 drawers as well as a hutch with sliding glass doors for displays and 3 drawers below. I'm wondering if Kate on 5/21/2010 has a photo of hers and I'm curious what she paid for it. My mother -in-law of 100 yrs recently died and this is in immaculate shape. Would love feedback! Thanks DianeM.

From Diane M., 9/11/2013  2:02 AM

From Barbara Sacco, 6/23/2011  12:19 PM

Hello Steve, I am looking at purchasing a very nice bedroom set that is Morris. It is stamped Vega and is quite danish modern in style ... can you tell me anything about the pieces? It includes a long dresser, a high dresser, a mirror, bedside tables and a headboard. I really like the design and they look to be solid walnut. I do not have your email so I am posting here. Thank.

From steve aberle, 6/17/2011  7:42 PM

Hi:

I am part of the family that was Morris Furniture. My grandmother's brothers started the company in London more or less before WWI. Soon they emigrated to Los Angeles and re-established themselves as Morris Furniture Mfg. My grandmother's husbund joined the firm in the 1940s as did my dad in 1952. I worked there as a child and became a sales rep in 1980 until 1987. The company was liquidated in 1989.

Please e-mail me if I can be of further service.

From Vicky, 6/5/2011  11:34 AM

Yesterday, 5/04/2011, my husband bought me my long awaited hope chest. Of course, it didn't matter what kind of chest. At a yard sale, he found a "Made o' Cedar" hope chest by Morris Furniture Manufacturing Co, Los Angeles. The insignia is burned into the wood, like with a branding iron. The owner's mother-in-law owned it, so it seems we could be the 3rd owner.

You're gonna love this! Inside top cover of chest there is a mail-in insurance certificate with the style number, 575, and serial number, 489, of the chest, along with date to be insured by, 3/1/36. My chest has a top sectioned compartment for smaller items. It can be removed and underneath is the large compartment for storage.

So far this is the only info we have. My husband was very diligent, just like all of you, to find out about the company.

I can send pics if you email me. We can brainstorm.

From yvonne, 4/3/2011  11:23 PM

I, too, bought a cool looking table, 2 expandable pcs, and 4 chairs that have yellow inserts at a yard sale with the stamp "Morris Furniture Manufacturing Co in Los Angeles". I would also like to get as much information on the company but by the looks of the pieces - 40"s is my guess. Any interest???

From sidney edwardGenuines, 1/17/2011  3:02 PM

I also have a cedar hope chest. This chest is beautiful, it actually has the the papers telling about the piece calling it The Treasure Genuine Aromatic Chest. The only thing it is lacking is the dates in which it was made.

From Janie, 8/2/2010  10:20 AM

I have my Grand Mothers cedar chest marked Morris Furniture Company Los Angeles, Maid-O-Cedar. Also looking for information about the company.

From Omar, 8/1/2010  1:32 PM

I also have a danish modern dining set marked with Morris Furn Co Los Angeles.. pretty darn cool.

From JC, 6/17/2010  11:02 PM

I purchased a Made O'Cedar Hope/blanket chest Built by Morris furniture MFG Co. of Los Angeles-- Any info on value -etc. would be wonderful.

From Kate, 5/21/2010  8:21 PM

I have a dining room set with Morris Furniture Co of Los Angeles marked under the chairs. I have the expandable table, 4 side chairs, 2 arm chairs, the sideboard, and the hutch. I live in the Los Angeles area and bought it from a home stager using the set to sell an Eichler home in Orange County. The set is stunning. I think it is walnut and the chair backs have a design that reminds me of surf boards.

From Maria, 3/24/2010  8:10 PM

I purchased a bedroom vanity gold in color and flo__l painting on drawers with the Morris Furniture Co of Los Angeles marking I would like to find out when it was made and any other information if possible. Thanks!

From Marlene, 10/25/2009  11:10 PM

I have dining room set chairs that belonged to my parents that have the Morris Furniture Co of Los Angeles markings. She is 88 and dad is not alive anymore so I can't get much information other than they were married in 1940 and bought that furniture not long after. My dad always liked the strenght of oak and mother the glamor of hollywood. They lived in San Francisco all their lives and bought the furniture locally.

I also have end tables with Brown Saltman Co of California seals which match in style and color.

From ayla ayla, 9/7/2009  12:11 AM

i have a secretary chest i would love to have any info on.

From Debbie, 8/31/2009  6:20 PM

I have a round dinette from Morris Furniture Mfg Co of Los Angeles. It is painted an antique green. Anyone know if this was original, or painted later?

From troy, 8/2/2009  11:11 PM

I, too, bought furniture labeled Morris Modern, LA., at an estate sale. It's a bedroom set that's crazy cool, with great hardware!! Who were these people? I googled the co. name, and get Ohio adresses. Any one w/ info, please help...thanks

From MIMI VACHER, 4/11/2009  5:16 PM

I OWN A DESK W/MORRIS FURN.MFG. CO /LOS ANGELES STAMPED ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TOP RIGHT DRAW. IS THERE ANY ONE TO WHOM I CAN SEND A PHOTO IN ORDER TO OBTAIN SOME INFORMATION ON THIS PIECE? I'VE HAD IT SINCE THE LATE 70'S. THANK YOU      MIMI VACHER

From Maree, 3/9/2009  9:46 PM

Hi Carl,

I just purchased a dining set labeled Morris Mfg. from Los Angeles' I have no other information. I would love to see a picture of your set.

Thanks, Maree

From Carl Ripaldi, 1/28/2009  12:57 PM

Hi:

I have a dining room set that was manufactured by Morris Furniture. I have been told that hte set was designed by Paul Lazlo a noted LA designer and architect. My set was called "Morris Modern". Can you e-mail me a photo of your bedroom set?

Regards, Carl

From Russell at Furniture World Magazine, 5/18/2004  3:11 PM

I will post your message, but as you've already found out, there isn't much information on most furniture manufactures out there. In fact, only a handful of manufacturers past and present bothered to keep a history of their companies, much less catalog products or prices or product features. Richardson Brothers published a book, so did the Edgar Broyhill. You can find corporate information on companies like Ethan Allen and a bit on their founder Nat Ancell. Stickley has a person who helps people find out about historical Stickley pieces and Kroehler has a historical society. There is a wonderful book that has information on Grand Rapids area furniture manufacturers as well as information on the great furniture designers and designer/manufacturers. For most manufacturers, you will be lucky if you can find out when they started and stopped production, the product categories they made and the names of the original officers. If you have a few months of extra time, you can also browse through back issues of FURNITURE WORLD to try to find some of the manufacturer profiles we published from 1870-1980 or so. Some of these are very interesting and others are much like reading information on the company that made your roofing shingles.