Over 147 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry

Contemporary vs. Modern Furniture

Posted By Janster, 3/9/2017

Login to Reply to this Topic

Many customers that enter our showroom think that contemporary and modern is one and the same. If you are in the process of redecorating your home it's extremely important that you know the difference between types of furniture. Understanding the differences between contemporary and modern furniture can help you during the design process and while you're picking out new furniture for your home. Here is an article that describes the differences between these furniture styles and here are some of the main differences so that you can create better descriptions for your designer or furniture craftsperson:

Modern design:

Modern design is a furniture and architecture design style that became popular between the 1920s to the 1950s. The style is relatively defined and even if a style is newer than this type of furniture design, is still not considered modern by architecture or design standards.

A modern designed interior doesn't necessarily refer to a futuristic design but a mid century modern look. Most of the time this design is characterized by a fairly clean look with the use of natural materials like teak, Linen, leather and molded plastic or plywood. The goal of modern design is often to create a much larger or open air feeling than you might receive in a space without the same design elements.

Contemporary design:

Contemporary design is more of a living or natural style of living. The goal of the contemporary interior is really what is popular during the time. A contemporary design is going to be changing regularly and a number of different pieces are going to be used in several different styles from different eras as they occur. Contemporary design is always changing and it means that it evolves with the times.

The goal of a contemporary design is often for the sustainability of materials as well as the overall comfort in a space. Finishes in contemporary designs currently are stone, fir and cedar but these are bound to change over time as the style evolves as well.

Replies

From lioneljohn, 7/20/2017  6:24 AM

I have never thought about these updating in the case of furniture. This is completely new information for me. I was looking for some new furniture design for redecorating my home. I will definitely take this information into account while selecting the same. Thanks for the share. https://woodpeckerscrafts.com

From angelamaria, 7/11/2017  7:51 AM

Since I was looking for different patterns of furniture for my new home, this piece of information is very useful to me. I would like to see the photos of it so that I can choose the best one from it. Hope you will upload it as soon as possible.small prefab homes

From solands23, 7/7/2017  1:27 AM

When it comes to choosing the right furniture set materials for our home, it's very important we stick with beautifully design, good quality and durable furniture. To achieve this, we can start by reading a lot of useful furniture write history paper reviews online. These reviews can help you decide which furniture materials to choose.

From Midinmod Furniture Store Houston , 6/25/2017  6:07 AM

We think it is all about country of origin of design inspirations for both lines if it is from modern from Italy and contemporary from Italy different than American modern and contemporary. Basically American designs does not show solid difference as the European ones. It is very deep topic we are more into Midcentury modern lines in modern times..Midinmod Furniture Store Houston.

From garywilson571, 6/19/2017  1:42 AM

The distinctions are numerous. A Modern space has a tendency to take after a strict style design while Contemporary has numerous varieties in its insides. Modern in its actual frame is infrequently seen as stark or frosty, while some Contemporary insides command an intense starkness. 
In Modern finishing, hues lean toward naturals or neutrals, however, Contemporary has no issues swinging from one outrageous to the next on the shading scale. Modern plan favors solid lines, while the Contemporary Style adores bends.
Law assignment writing help

From KarlaB, 5/2/2017  5:23 AM

Super, it was really detailed post, thanks for sharing

From MarieCassidy, 4/19/2017  2:58 AM

Modern design alludes to a timeframe, it is an outline style. It doesn't transform, it is a characterized style, and will stay such for ever. Contemporary outline is always showing signs of change. It is existing apart from everything else. Contemporary plan is an authentic substance. Michelle Rodriguez New Jacket

From MarieCassidy, 4/19/2017  2:57 AM

Modern design alludes to a timeframe, it is an outline style. It doesn't transform, it is a characterized style, and will stay such for ever. Contemporary outline is always showing signs of change. It is existing apart from everything else. Contemporary plan is an authentic substance. Michelle Rodriguez New Jacket

From Annie009, 3/17/2017  3:11 AM

We need modern design furniture for my small home. cause We need this Assignment help service because it has the detail of different countries. i am happy to see post.

Login to Reply to this Topic