Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Heat Produced By Halogen Bulb

Hello.  I want a halogen bulb that give off the most heat.  Therefore, what characteristic of the bulb should I look at?  Beam angle?  Narrow flood vs. wide flood?  Lumens?  Color temperature?  Or some other characteristic?  Again, I want a bulb that gives off the most heat.  I am currently looking at 50w and 75w bulbs, but they have so many different variables and I can't tell which one would give off the most heat (i.e., to melt a wax candle).  Just in case, I am looking for a 120v MR 16 halogen bulb with a GU 10 base -- so if you have any recommendations for the greatest heat-producing one out there, I'm all ears!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jay

Posted By LarryP, 9/9/2014

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From Russell, 9/16/2014  8:01 AM

Hello Again Jay.  Monte Lee at Service Lamp  sent me this reply to your inquiry...

I don't know what my log in issue was but here is the answer.Hi Jay, I'm not sure this is the best way to melt candles but there is an answer to your question about bulbs that give off the most heat. Halogen bulbs use about 10% of input power to generate visible light and 90% to generate infrared light that we cannot see. That totals to 100% heat. The higher the input power in watts the greater the heat. The narrower the beam the more that heat will be concentrated.Lumens would not be a good criterion. We have InfraRed coated (IRC) bulbs that give off more lumens but that happens by reflecting infrared heat back onto the filament (less in the beam) to make the filament hotter and generate more light for less input power. Color temperature doesn't matter either. So in a GU10 base you are looking for a 50 Watt, MR16 narrow flood to give you the most heat on target.

Regards,

Monte Monte D. Lee, National Account Manager
Service Lamp Corporation
1517 York Ave, High Point, NC 27265 
P. 336-847-4164         F. 877-898-2852

From Russell, 9/9/2014  7:22 AM

Hello Jay, I've passed your inquiry on to Monte Lee at Service Lamp. It must be mighty cold where you are. Most stores want to minimize heat from bulbs to reduce HVAC expenses. What's the story? - Russell