Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

OLD CHITTENDEN &EASTMAN BUFFET FROM 1890

Just had a question about the value of a Chittenden & Eastman co. buffet circa 1890 from a whorehouse in Clifton, AZ., dated to around 1890. wondered about value and how to refinish if there is no value. the buffet still has manufacture tag intact says chittenden & eastman co. (square brand) Burlington, Iowa number 125601 thanks,

Posted By r. Evans, 4/19/2004

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From Russell at Furniture World Magazine, 5/17/2004  1:28 PM

It is generally not advisable to refinish valuable antique pieces that should, instead, be restored. I don't know anyone who could appraise your piece for a reasonable fee and don't know if it has any unusual value. We used to have a contributor to the message board who did appraisals, but he found that most folks were interested in free information. Furniturebrains.com also provides an appraisal service. I have forwarded your inquiry on to them at furniturebrains.com. The charge $30 per hour and say that most appraisals take at least 2 hours. They also note that they don't do appraisals for investment purposes. You might also try contacting Eastman House (bedding) through http://www.coil-on-coil.com/homepage.htm or send them this information at Chittenden & Eastman Company, 401 South Roosevelt, Burlington, IA 52601-1685. Perhaps they will be able to point you in the right direction. I will also post your message so that others can respond.