Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

INFO ON DOERNBECHER MFG COMPANY

Not having much luck finding information on this company on the internet. I have a dining room set that appears to have been made by this company and I was trying to find information on the manufacturer and possibly the approximate age of the set. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated. The tag on the chairs indicates that the manufacturer was Doernbecher Manufacturing Company out of Portland Oregon and the retailer was Peterson's Furn. & Uni. Co. out of Ontario,

Posted By Guest, 1/7/2002

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From BarbaraB, 3/22/2012  10:25 PM

Members of my family worked at Doernbecher Mfg.; I offer these insights into the history of the company.  The building used at 1100 NE 28th Avenue still stands; it is a storage facility (U Store East) now.

----

"Doernbecher Manufacturing Company - the company was established by Frank Silas Doernbecher, President and Manager. Doernbecher was a pioneer in mass production of furniture with a traveling assembly line, five miles long. Production was devoted to mainly bedroom and dining room furniture. In WWII, Doernbecher produced furniture under government contracts for Army and Navy needs. The plant was located at 1100 NE 28th, Portland, Oregon at the Union Pacific railroad crossing in Sullivan's Gulch and employed approximately 1,000 people. This plant was later operated as Barker Furniture."

source: http://www.volgagermans.net/portland/employers.html

----

"B.P. John Furniture - The plant was located on the east side of SW Macadam across from the current John's Landing, in Portland, Oregon. John's Landing was named for B. P. John and was the "landing" where the logs for the factory were dropped. B.P. John was originally a vice president at Doernbecher Furniture before starting his own business."

source: http://www.volgagermans.net/portland/employers.html

From Claudia, 6/6/2011  4:55 PM

We sold the double bed at a garage sale several years ago. We still have the dresser (2 large drawers, 2 small) and the chest of drawers (4 large drawers, 2 small). Doernbecker Furniture plate in small drawer and 851-WAL on back of dresser. Any idea of value now or pictures to view? We need to sell; the pieces are sturdy but show wear. We're in San Antonio, TX.

From Rick, 4/30/2011  9:38 PM

I have a Dorenbecher 6 drawer chest of drawers with a mirror on top. There is a model number 3010 written on both the chest and mirror. It came out of an old Cabin at Priest Lake, Idaho we bought about 30 years ago from the original owners. It's in super shape and we would like to sell it. It is located in Spokane, Wa.
Rick 509-994-0178, rjeddy@aol.com

From Kenneth H, 3/18/2011  6:08 AM

I am attempting to gather information on the material and patterns used on dining chair seats in the early 30s by Dorenbecher, I have heard it was white fabric with broad green and rose colored stripes, I have a dinning room set that belonged to my grandmother, and would like to get it back as original as possible. The set is Black Walnut Number on the chairs are NO 99 D-1 The table is 99 -D-6ft
I understand it had a armed chair as well in the original set however apparently that was broken years ago. If anyone has any information or old sales catalogs from Dorenbecher Portland Manf. I would greatly appreciate it.

From Carol Martin, 1/11/2011  10:45 PM

I have a small 13.5 x 23 h 18 table with the metal Doernbecher tag. It also has a Walla Walla WA furniture tag on it.

From gloria, 12/21/2010  2:16 AM

I have a dresser drawer with 1 left side door next to 2 small drawers and 3 large drawers. This beautiful piece of furniture has a few nicks and scratches. I am trying to see if this is valuable. It has a number stamped on the back. My husband and I bought it sometime in 1976.

thanks for any info
Gloria

From Barb, 8/26/2010  8:19 PM

I just bought today from an auction house a Dorenbecher double sleigh bed with matching rails in really pretty good condition (bits of the veneer at the bottom of the footboard legs has chipped off) along with the matching 5 drawer dresser w/ attached mirror in great shape. I paid $300 for both pieces.

From Cami, 8/24/2010  11:59 AM

I live in Portland, OR and am familiar with the Doernbecher name of course, due to the wonderful children's hospital. I was surprised to find the name, Doernbecher Manufacturing Company on the underside of my beautiful 40's, rose upholstered, Sway back lounge chair. I am looking to find the value or any possible buyers. cami_anderson@yahoo.com

From louise, 7/31/2010  11:26 PM

i have three dornbecker dressers that i have had for 35years i would like to find out if they are worth any thing i tryed to find out more about the company but not much so if any one knows what they are worth let me know please.

From Susan M. Smith, 7/14/2010  8:01 PM

I have two Doernbecher Mfg Co twin beds that I think are mahagony. The bedposts are carved pineapples. The tag reads Doernbecher Manufacturing Co. L. A. Peterson Furniture Co., Turlock, CA. These beds were my grandmothers. I grew up in Turlock, CA. I'm sending them to a Turlock consignment store on Friday and am wondering about their value. I'm guessing they date to the late thirties or early forties. Can anyone help me?     

From connie, 6/22/2010  11:03 PM

i have a doernbecher chair with arms and a leather seat. there is a metal tag on the bottom of the chair that tells me it is a doernbecher. also, in white lettering 2200 and i think it says leather. i would like to know what it could be worth or if anyone has any others like it.

From Anne May, 6/22/2010  7:44 PM

We would like to sell a 4-piece Dorenbecker bedroom set. Full bed has cane foot and headboards. Footboard curves several inches around mattress. 2 dressers and a nightstand. We purchased the set 40 years ago -- unpainted. It has not been repainted. Contact us for photos. amay@onlinenw.com

From Christa Spears, 5/7/2010  8:05 PM

I had googled Doernbacher and found this site. My father has a dresser and vanity that belonged to his grandmother and it is in excellent condition. We were trying to get an idea of it's age and worth, just curious. If anyone has any idea we would appreciate the knowledge. We have found quite a bit of items we have of hers have amazing stories behind them. Thank you for your help.

From Chris, 4/28/2010  7:08 PM

I have a beautiful dining set includes the table, 6 leafs and 5 chairs, 1 arm chair. It was my husbands grandmothers. We don't want to sell it however, we would love to know more about it. The number under the table '2000200-8-FT, on the chairs 'Leather 2200-WAL' . The pieces are walnut and maple with filigrie carving at the top of each chair and on the sides of the table. The seats still have the original leather although I am in the process of putting new seats over the leather for comfort. Thanks!

From Nicole, 1/24/2010  10:32 PM

Complete doernbecher dining set, includes: table, 1 leaf, 2 arm chairs, 4 regular (possibly 2 more in storage), and a buffet. All have been beautifully refinished in a dark cherry color with a glass like finish on the tops. Great condition. This has been passed down in the family and by reading thru this site I can see others can appreciate it's age and craft. My mom has downsized and has no room anymore. If anybody is interested or knows where I should try to sell this set, please email me at socialwings@yahoo.com. Thank you.

From Ashley, 8/20/2009  2:24 AM

I have a 5 piece Doernbecher golden veneer bedroom set. I really have no idea when it was made. I'm guessing the 50's. But I wasn't having much luck with the history either. Someone please help!

From mickey, 5/21/2009  8:36 PM

I have an oak table and original wooden carrier the leafs for it are in, the box, it is beautiful and has four lion heads with lion claw feet holding up the pedestal, I know it is quite old because I know some of its history but don't know its value or exact age. Trying to research it but not having a lot of luck.   

From Mandy Winter, 1/6/2009  11:41 PM

I have a doernbecher vanity with mirror and stool, and a tall 4 drawer dresser. They were my great grandmothers, but I don't have any room for them. They are in my daughters room, but she is just over a year so I want to sell them before they are damaged. They are in excellent condition. I could use help on how much they are worth, or where is the best place to sell them. My email is kurlie2cute@hotmail.com

Thanks, Mandy

From Cobb, 5/16/2008  9:31 AM

I have a complete Doernbecher bedroom set. The main dresser/vanity has three drawers on the left, two glass shelves on the the right. The mirror is unusal in that it continues down and disappears into the side of the drawers so there is 3/4 of the mirror showing. I can provide pictures but am curious as to the pricing of this manufacturer.

From Mark Sullivan, 4/4/2008  1:12 PM

I have a Doernbecher Dining Table with six chairs, one an arm chair. It is in good shape, with some scratching over the years. It is from the mid-1920's. The code underneath the chairs is 101-D-2. The table has 101-D-6-FT on it. Please contact me at marksullivanlaw@gmail.com if you are interested. I can send you photos. I am in Seattle. Thanks.

From Hayley, 1/3/2008  8:02 PM

I have inherited a Doernbecher dining room set with sideboard, table and chairs. We are currently missing the arm chair and one side chair to the set. I would be interested in purchasing a full dining set if anyone is selling. If interested, please e-mail haycons@yahoo.com with photos. Thanks.

From Peter Fournier, 12/18/2007  10:39 PM

I would like to hear from those above who are interested in selling furniture. My email is peterfournier@comcast.net.

From Jeanne, 12/8/2007  3:12 PM

I have a dining table and 4 chairs & 1 captains chair made by Doernbecher Mgf. aprox. 1905 in France? I am very interested in selling it and/or finding out its worth. Please reply asap..

From Gary Jennings, 11/25/2007  6:44 PM

My parents have a complete Doernbecher bedroom set they'd like to sell.

From mike, 11/18/2007  11:46 PM

I have a doernbecher 3 piece bedroom set we would like to sell. Triple batwing vanity, head and wrap around foot board and dresser with 2 lower drawers and three upper with doors to hide them. all have red rose pattern. I have no idea of value. They are located in long beach wa.pictures available upon request. white_ms@hotmail.com

From Julie Miller, 11/12/2007  1:43 PM

I also would love to know the selling value of my triple batwing mirrored Vanity, The 6 drawers have rose pattern knobs/ This also is a drop center. Mirror is in good condition some silvering. It also has the Caned Bench in excellant condition. The number on stool and back of dresser is 851-WAL. With a brass plate with Doernbecher Furniture in a Drawer
Pictures upon request.
Julie Millerjule@msn.com

From bob vinton, 11/5/2007  1:34 PM

have a 6 chair, doernbecher large table w/2 leaves number 104 on the chairs, wondering what they would be worth. some of the veneer on chairs is off. any guesseson prices???

From Shelly, 10/5/2007  1:18 PM

Hi there Peter Fournier,
I know and elderly couple who have a Doernbecher vanity with the large round mirror (no silvering, good condition) that they are selling. They have the large chest of drawers, stool for the vanity, and I believe they have the head and footboard for the bed. If interested still, email me. Thanks, Shelly

From Peter Fournier, 8/31/2007  1:04 AM

I have information on Doernbecher Furniture Company. I presently live in the home the second President of the company built in 1927. Anybody interested in selling me their Doernbecher furniture?

From joy, 8/24/2007  6:23 PM

We have a Doernbecher bedroom set we would like to sell and are having a hard time finding enought info to be able to set a price. Any suggestions from anyone familiar with this Mfg?

From alda, 4/7/2007  4:54 PM

I have a Dorenbecher dresser with four big drawers and two smaller drawers on top of the bigger ones. The knobs and the back of the dresser top have hand-carved roses. Does anyone know how I can get a ball park figure as to the value?

From Robin, 3/19/2007  11:36 PM

As you travel west on the Banfield Freeway in NE Portland, at about 33rd Avenue, you'll see a large building that is now a self-storage unit. That is the former building of Doernbecher Manufacturing Company.

Someone said the Salem Library would have history on the comapany.

I too have a 1930 Waterfall dresser and vanity, plus twin headboards and foots. I could never part with mine but I wonder what they're worth.

From Kristy, 3/8/2007  3:05 AM

I have a Doernbecher dresser and vanity. It is made of 2 different types of wood and has a waterfall pattern on the darker wood. I looked in to the company a few years ago. All I could find out was that they were in Portland Oregon in the 30's & 40"s. I found this site as I am now looking for the best forum to sell my set.

From Bob, 1/3/2006  2:07 PM

I have a friend with a Doernbecher dining room set. Try going to

www.volgagermans.net/portland/Portland_Employers.htm

for a bit more information about this company. If you look closely on the bottom of the frame of each chair you will find a number scratched into the wood that matches the number scratched into the bottom of the moving parts under the table top. I,like you, would like to find out more about the company. Thank you.

From Russell at Furniture World Magazine, 6/25/2004  5:06 PM

I've never heard of them, but will post your message for additional response.