Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Smith Brothers of Berne Furniture

I'm looking for a local retailer who carries Smith Brothers Of Berne family room furniture. Our local retailer (DeBasio Furniture) is going out of business, and I can no longer order the furniture from them. I live in the St. Louis area and would be willing to drive a few hours to get the furniture I have selected for my family room. Thanks!

Posted By Ann, 8/31/2006

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From Linda C., 3/5/2014  3:19 PM

Last summer we bought a leather sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman from Smith Brothers thru Homemakers Furniture in Urbandale, Iowa.  We have been very disappointed in the quality of this furniture.  We bought it thinking we were buying the best that Homemakers offered and we have had nothing but trouble with it.  All pieces have been replaced twice due to some defect.  We are on our third set and are still having issues.  Homemakers has been good to replace the items that have problems but I am getting really tired of dealing with it.  I thought this third set would be okay, but after a couple months of hardly any use, the cushions are looking terrible.  I am wondering what it will look like after a couple of years?  I asked to have a representative from Smith Brothers come to our house, but Homemakers told me they do not make house calls.  Everything has to be handled thru the Homemakers.  I would like to give this stuff back and start all over again!  We have been waiting over 2 months now for 2 cushions to be replaced, and they haven't arrived yet.  Now another cushion is doing the same thing.  

From Ann, 7/30/2011  5:21 PM

Regarding Smith Brothers of Berne: I have several leather and upholstered pieces made by Smith Brothers and purchased at Andrea's Furniture in Sugarcreek, Ohio. These pieces get daily use and are the most comfortable chairs / sofa I have ever owned. The quality workmanship is apparent from the moment your rump lands on a cushion -- my family and friends act like vultures hovering to take possession when one of these chairs becomes vacant. Well worth the money!

From connie, 5/20/2011  10:49 PM

I live in Des Moines Iowa.
Homemakers Furniture here carries smith Brothers.i just received my first piece-a chair and ottoman.I absolutely love it.Am hoping to get more.

From john, 5/16/2011  3:28 PM

franklin nc, down town furniture store carries smith brothers furniture.family owned.been there for years.can't remember the name,anyone in franklin could direct you to them.

From Lynn, 5/9/2011  10:34 PM

Does anyone know of a retailer that carries Smith Brothers in the St Paul/Mpls area of Minnesota? or even near Hudson Wisconsin?

From R Blatchford, 4/28/2011  11:43 AM

Four years ago, we bought an expensive leather chair and ottoman made by Smith Bros. of Berne. Totally dissatisfied! The leather has a finish material on it. This finishing is cracking on the piping of the cushion and the ottoman. Not being able to learn how to contact the company directly, we called our retailer. He called Smith whose best offer was to SELL US another cover for the cushion. Now this finish material is wearing of one of the arm rests.

We have another leather chair that is over 30 years old, and it has given no problems. Smith Brothers leather is substandard and they don't stand behind their product.

From Jon, 3/31/2011  7:13 PM

Terri ~

We've been a Smith Brothers dealer for 20+ years and have very few fabric issues. Nearly all upholstery manufacturers will warrant fabric for 1 year from date of purchase. Even fewer will have longer warranties. If you want "extended life" consider fabric protection some of which will guarantee 5 years. I really wouldn't worry about Smith Brothers fabrics.

Regards,

Jon

From Terri, 3/30/2011  11:33 AM

Am looking for a dealer of Smith Bros of Berne in Tennessee. Fabric seems to be an issue. Are people getting the Smith Brothers mixed up with the Smith Bros of Berne?
Terri

From Eric Rosenkrantz, 3/27/2011  12:07 PM

I am looking into buying a Smith Brothers sofa and chair. I've seen great reviews about the structure of the furniture, but many complaints about the fabric. I am looking for reviews about the quality of the Smith Brothers fabrics, both positive and negative reviews.
thanks, Eric

From Jody, 3/26/2011  8:24 AM

McLoughlin's , 14405 Dix-Toledo, Southgate, MI 48195,(734)285-5454. About 15 miles south of Detroit, Michigan. Large selection. Have a huge wall of all the fabric choices. Anytime you go to McLoughlin's you get an education on quality furniture.

From Deanna, 3/6/2011  2:26 PM

Does anyone know of a Smith Brothers dealer in Vermont? The closest I've seen in some posting is a mention of dealers in PA. We did find one- Stahler's Furniture- but I'd like to do some pricing comparsions.

From Vickie, 2/21/2011  7:47 PM

We purchased a sofa and swivel chair from Smith Brothers in 2006. Our furniture rep explained that Smith Brothers would stand behind the basic parts of the furniture as long as we owned them. After 2 years of very light use, one side of the sofa broke down and the swivel part of the chair broke. We contacted the store we purchased the items from, they quickly picked them up, sent them to Smith Brothers, and we had both pieces repaired and back home within 6 weeks at no charge to us. After 2 more years of use, we have had no additional problems. I was very impressed with the company's willingness to stand behind their guarantee with absolutely no hassle. We are now placing an order for a leather couch and two chairs with Smith Brothers. After shopping around and seeing the guarantee that other manufacturers are offering, I don't think you can beat Smith Brothers guarantee.

From Kelly, 1/25/2011  4:48 PM

We have had a lot of problems with our Smith Brothers of Berne furniture! We have 2 leather sofas, ottoman, leather pushback chair with ottoman and a fabric recliner. The fabric on the recliner was totally coming apart shortly after a year...right after the warranty expired. All of our leather had to be replaced because it started to peel in 3 months and we were told it had been recalled. They did re-send us all new leather furniture, but it was a big pain. NOW, the springs on one of our couches (5 years old) is squeaking terribly! Hope it is under warranty! Ugh! Would NOT buy from Smith Brothers of Berne again!

From Fred, 1/24/2011  8:30 PM

My wife and I are looking into purchasing a Smith Brothers motorized sofa recliner. I am looking to hear what others are saying about this sofa.

From Jill, 1/24/2011  10:05 AM

South Carolina... I don't understand Why Smith Brother's website makes it difficult to find retailers in your area.... but I did find a retailer in Lexington, SC
Marty Rae's of Lexington
5108 Sunset Blvd. (Hyw 378)
Lexington SC 29072

From Mary, 1/18/2011  9:33 AM

Does anyone know of a furniture store in NJ that carries Smith Brothers furniture? Thanks.

From Ellen, 1/16/2011  12:02 PM

To Joan:
I also live in the SE Michigan. Have found Smith Bros. furniture at Tyner's in Ann Arbor. Also noted several comments from the last couple of years to include The Thomasville Store in Novi, and Vermeulen's in Jackson. It is very odd that you can't find this info on their website and does leave a concern about what to do if these stores goes out of business, which we know can happen these days in Michigan!!

From Heather, 1/7/2011  10:52 AM

I am looking for a Smith Bro. furniture dealer in the west, Utah, Idaho, Nevada. Is there such a thing? I am having no luck so far.

From Kathleen Kleber, 1/6/2011  8:49 PM

Anderson Furniture in Franklin, Pa. not too far from Pittsburgh, Pa. carries Smith Bros. of Berne furniture

From Pattycake, 12/30/2010  5:49 PM

Flexsteel is now being imported and is not even close to the quality it used to be. Flexsteel is coasting on its reputation and repeat customers are being very disappointed. On a scale of one to ten, Smith Brothers is a ten and Flexsteel is a four/five. I have been a dealer for both.

From Nancy Hall, 12/30/2010  8:14 AM

I am considering purchase of a leather club type chair with ottoman from consignment. It is a very reasonable price. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has purchased such an item. Even though probably 15-20 years old, it is in very good shape, some color fading, but think a good buy for less than $300.

From Eileen, 12/3/2010  10:13 AM

I am looking for a dealer/retailer that carries Smith Brothers within 150 miles of Greensboro, NC.   

From joan, 11/25/2010  9:47 PM

I am trying to locate a Smith Bros retailer in the metro Detroit area. I cannot even find a customer service number for the company. Can anyone help?

From Delinda, 10/6/2010  1:06 PM

I recently bought a chair and ottoman (style 355), and would like to get a sofa in the same style. I am told it can no longer be ordered. Anyone know if this style can still be obtained?

From Cindy, 9/8/2010  6:16 PM

I am looking for a retailer that sells Smith Bros. of Berne in Florida.

From michelle, 9/3/2010  2:31 PM

I am looking for the name of the mills that Smith Bros. of Berne uses. I purchased two pieces of furniture(fabric # 249303) from a store that is no longer in business in the spring and would like to order fabric to recover another piece that we have. I called the closest dealer and they said that the fabric was discontinued before I purchased it. I did call Smith Bros. corporate office and they would not give me any information or assistance. I was hoping to go directly to the mill to purchase. Thanks for any assistance.

From Jon, 4/13/2010  8:28 AM

Gin ~

100% Cotton may look good initially, but is not an ideal fabric to last. The difference between the fabrics you noted is not the wear-ability, but rather in part, the complexity (and cost) for the mill to manufacture the fabric. Consider investigating fabric protection to possibly minimize stains.

Regards,

Jon______________________

From Gin, 4/12/2010  10:20 AM

I am considering a Smith Bros. of Berne sofa and chair 346 style. The fabrics don't have durability ratings. The two I am considering are:
235311 70% acrylic, 30% polyester II grade (sofa)
236916 72% Rayon, 28% polyester SS grade (chair)

My last sofa set was 100% cotton and the fabric, after 10 years, 3 kids and a cat has finally worn through.

I know we'll be easier on this set because kids are older now. We do eat in that room, so also not sure if it's a good choice for stain prevention.

Any comments are appreciated!

From Jon, 4/1/2010  3:50 PM

Paul ~

The fabric you selected (#250703) is 58% polyester & 42% rayon. "Man-made" fabrics are very durable. As far as the need to purchase "protection", given the tapestry pattern of the fabric, it really isn't necessary to go to the expense.

Regards,

Jon_________________

From Paul, 3/29/2010  1:26 PM

Yesterday we ordered a sofa SBR309-SO/250703 and we have no idea what the fabic is composed of. Can anyone help me with this?

The salesperson recommended we purchase their "Crypton Coating" to protect the fabric. Is this really necessary and does it affect the potential warranty problems if they arise?
We dont want to spend money foolishly and create a problem doing so. We are in our early 60's and have no grandchildren...yet!

From susan lojacono, 3/20/2010  8:30 PM

Any other stores besides Arthurs in the Buffalo, NY area that carry Smith Brothers sofas?

From Cal, 3/12/2010  3:04 PM

Cool! I just visited the Smith Brothers website today, and they now have a dealer finder listed!!! Unfortunately they don't tell you the information right away, but they send you a nice email with the dealer or dealers located in the area you requested. That is much better than nothing.

I also noticed the website has been updated a bunch since I looked last. Very well done!

Our Smith Brothers chair is wonderful. I picked up a 941 chair last year and love it. My wife and I were thinking of getting a sofa next.

From Alyson, 3/3/2010  8:45 AM

Guys, don't confuse the fabrics with the furniture. Smith Brothers doesn't make their own fabrics, and neither does Flexsteel or anyone else. Every furniture manufacturer buys their fabric from fabric mills. In fact, Smith Brothers does more than most furniture makers to pick only the best fabrics, and they'll do their best to work with you if a fabric goes bad.

I've had a Smith Brothers chair for 15 years and it's still the best seat in my house. Seriously, don't let the complainers get you down: this is good stuff.

From Jan, 2/25/2010  8:26 PM

Well, I'm having second thoughts about purchasing a Smith Brothers of Berne sofa or sectional--not sure which--for my living room. I was set on the #165 style and even found a fabric I like, but after hearing how the fabrics don't hold up and the springs squeak, I'm not sure. It is expensive, in my book. The fabric I am considering is 48% rayon, 28% polyester, and 24% cotton. I'm concerned because it is solvent-cleaned and we have two older, small dogs and a cat and I'm afraid this is a bad choice. Anyone know if it would wear or be hard to clean? I have to get a tight weave that the cat's toenails can't get ahold of. Maybe I'll go back to Flexsteel. I haven't heard anything bad about them.

From Gene, 2/24/2010  10:02 PM

Looking for a Smith Bros. retailer in the Charlotte, NC area. Surrounding area...Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem, Asheville (all NC) Columbia, Rock Hill, Greenville, Spartanburg, SC. Any ideas?

From Stacy, 2/19/2010  10:28 AM

My husband and I are considering a Smith Bros. set for our living room. We want to get a leather set. For those that have experience with this furniture: can you tell me if this is a good choice for an area that will receive DAILY use in a family room where we entertain, watch TV, relax, etc. ? Thanks! Also, does anyone know WHY they don't have their phone number on the website???

From Marie, 2/17/2010  2:19 PM

Looking into purchasing a #345 Collection sofa and chair, but Iam a bit concerned since reading these reviews. The sofa would be in our living room/library. Question, how do the fabrics hold-up to constant sitting, especially with kids?   

Also, looking for a store that carries Smith Brothers located outside of Philadelphia, PA

Thanks!

From Ron, 2/13/2010  1:20 PM

Would like the name of a dealer for the Las Vegas NV area that carry Smith Brothers of Berne furniture.

From Kerry, 2/12/2010  12:07 AM

For Elaine Kidder: I assume that you live in Michigan. I, too, am pricing a Smith Brothers of Berne leather couch and loveseat. I'm looking at Skaff Furniture in Flint, Art Sample Furniture in Lansing, Fenton Home Furnishings in Fenton, and Gray's furniture in Mt. Pleasant. I think there is a store that carries this brand near Saginaw, also. Hope this helps.

From Tristan, 2/8/2010  10:08 AM

Some of the McLaughlin's Stores carry Smith Brothers. I just purchased a chair from the store in Novi, MI.

From Elaine Kidder, 2/6/2010  7:05 PM

I'm looking to buy some furniture but don"t know where to fine Smith Brothers around in my area. I live in the thumb area. Is there any store in that area?

From Faye, 2/2/2010  2:16 AM

The president of the company is not Amish. He is a graduate of Indiana University Kelly Business School. Drives a car and everything. And Peter Lorenz is available only in the Chicago area. My parents have a Smith Brothers of Berne sectional that is 20 years old and it still sits like new. This is some incredible stuff.

From Stephanie, 12/13/2009  1:05 PM

Anita-
the fabric is a good mix for durability!

From Anita, 12/3/2009  2:22 PM

We are interested in buyina a Smith Brothers of Berne sofa style #346 in a GG fabric (34% acrylic, 32% polyester, 27# cotton, 7% rayon). Anyone know if this would be a good fabric for heavy use? This would be the only sofa in the house and we have small dogs.
Thanks Anita

From Helen, 11/16/2009  12:02 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase a Smith Brothers of Berne
sofa and love seat style #657 in a EE fabric. Also a chair style 968 in either EE fabric or grade 4 leather.
Anyone have any of these styles?   I have been reading the posts and don't know what to do.   Some people are happy some are not.

From Cheryl, 10/9/2009  11:13 PM

I own a 0945Smith Brothers Camel backed couch. My furniture salesperson had us wait for the Smith Bros factory sale becuase she knew I am hard on couches. i lay on them all the time and read, watch TV, them fall asleep and go to bed about 0200. this couch has no problems with the cushions or anything. I would like to get another. We deal with Vermeuleuns in Jackson. Nate Vermeuleun is great to work with. He is patient, not pushhy and will show you what you need. Tell him Cheryl Eggleston sent you, maybe I'll get a $$off cupon.

From Ray, 10/4/2009  5:29 PM

Question for Sofia (I hope you check back occasionally). We are considering the leather reclining sofa (style) #311) from Smith of Berne. You indicate that your leather sofa is useless. What specifically are the issues that keep you from sitting or lying on it? This could be very useful info in determining our decision. Thank you.
PS - I'm in Texas and Stacy's in Grapevine does have a display of these products along with all the leather and fabric options and catalogs.

From Jon, 9/26/2009  11:42 AM

Iris ~

Check out the Hilliards Furniture Company in Dublin, OH.
It's about 75 miles away; very close to Tuttle Crossing Mall. Very nice selection of Smith Brothers.

From Iris, 9/23/2009  2:54 PM

Trying to find Smith Brothers furniture in the Dayton, Ohio area, zip 45440, other than Cedar Hill Furn.

From Jeff Watson, 9/18/2009  5:39 PM

We are a Smith Bros dealer in the upstate of SC
Watsons Furniture Chesnee SC 29323 864-461-7317
www.watsonsonline.com

From Sofia, 9/16/2009  2:41 PM

I will say that we purchased an entire Smith Bros of Berne living room set, in leather. While it looks beautiful, our $3000+ couch cannot be sat on, laid on or anything. It sits there like eye candy. The store we purchased it from, DeYoung Interiors in Northwest Indiana, has no customer service at all and totally not willing to help. I am trying to find a number for Smith and finally located it here, thank goodness. DeYoung Interiors wouldn't even release the number to me. I will say that our entire set cost well over $7500 and it was a waste of money. I am sick over it. Like I said, they look beautiful, from afar. Come close and you can't sit on the sofa, the side of my leather side chairs are puckered. I will never, ever purchase anything from DeYoung or Smith ever again.

From Janice, 9/8/2009  9:42 PM

I'm looking for a Smith Brothers retailer in the Detroit area. I just got back from Minneapolis/St Paul and saw a beautiful leather living room set in my sister-in-law's home...EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Like others, I want to support US made products. Thanks for your help

From Jon, 9/3/2009  7:39 PM

Maureen . . .

Unfortunately, the most comprehensive display of Smith Brothers upholstered products is found about 100 miles away in Ft. Wayne, IN. Check out Habegger Furniture (www.habeggerfurniture.com). They have a very good relationship with Smith Brothers and semi-annually they host previews for (us) dealers.

Regarding the "durability of the tilt-back chair" . . . The #932 chair & ottoman is the most popular chair we sell. Just as with all Smith Brothers pieces, they come with a lifetime warranty on the chair's hardwood frame, the drop-in coil support, and the Ultra-Qualex(TM) cushion core. The secret of the Smith Brothers tilt-back is the piston cylinder which locks the angle of the back of the chair. In 15 years, we have replaced only two(2) for clients. Absolutely, wonderful chairs (and ottoman).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jon________________________

From Maureen, 8/30/2009  8:56 AM

Also wondering about the durability of the tilt-back chair?

thanks!

From Maureen, 8/30/2009  8:50 AM

We are interested in purchasing a sofa and tilt-back chair in leather from Smith Brothers of Berne. Can anyone give feedback on their experience with Smith Brothers leather? We definitely don't want leather imported from China.

Can anyone tell me the name of dealer(s) for Smith Brothers of Berne in the Toledo, Ohio area?

Thanks!
Maureen

From Pat, 8/26/2009  3:31 PM

My store, the Home Store, in Columbia, Mo. carries Smith Brothers furniture. It is a very durable, quality line, excellent quality for the cost. The Home Store serves most of Missouri. Our web site is www.homestorecolumbia.com. Thanks, Pat

From Jon, 8/9/2009  1:54 PM

Rebecca,

The paisley Smith Brothers fabric you are interested in is rather expensive. While the mix of rayon & polyester will hold up in moderate use, this fabric requires seams on one-piece backs and it would not be suitable for a sofa.

The fabric on a chair and on the sofa pillows would look stunning. I would go with a solid microfiber (#213803).

Good luck!

From Rebecca, 7/23/2009  8:03 PM

We're considering buying a Smith Brothers sofa and chair with a blue and brown paisley fabric #207003. It is 73% rayon and 27% polyester. Does anyone have any experience with this fabric?

From Jon, 7/2/2009  5:40 PM

Unfortunately Arica, Peter Lorenz is in no way associated with Smith Brothers.

Smith Brothers does not sell outside of their dealer network. The lifetime warranty on their drop-in coils, hardwood maple frame Ultra-Qualux(tm) cushion cores and customer service (if needed) makes Smith Brothers products an outstanding value!

There are 3 to 4 Smith Brothers dealers within 55 miles of Lancaster,OH (Dealers can be found in Pataskala, Plain City & Dublin).

From Arica, 7/1/2009  8:40 AM

I am looking for a couch and over sized chair and found one in Colonial Heights furniture store in Lancaster, OH. Love it but it si way too much. It is a Peter Lorentz piece which I believe is also a Smith Bros piece with teh coils and lifetime warrty on teh coils and frame. Does anyone know where you can find this furniture elsewhere at a cheaper price. Without so much overhead?

From joanne, 6/21/2009  9:05 PM

For those of you in Mn who used Furniture Mn-try Carrolls Furniture in Arden Hills. Same concept as Furniture Mn-you can order anything out of a catalog-very low prices-low overhead.

From Greig McGinness, 6/13/2009  1:46 PM

Anyone in Sacramento, California selling Smith Brothers of Berne leather furniture?

From Jon, 5/11/2009  12:42 PM

Susan -

I think you've confused Smith Brothers of Berne with Berne Furniture (of Berne). Two different companies. Two different managements. The only thing that separated the two factories is (was) an alley.

Unfortunately, Berne Furniture closed last year(2008). Smith Brothers of Berne is thriving. They even have electricity for their computers!

Check out www.smithbrosfurn.com .

Regards,

Jon_________________

From Susan, 5/9/2009  2:50 AM

I used to sell Smith Furniture (Berne) about nine years ago in Great Lakes Interiors (which I just heard is going out of business). It had a real good reputation among the designers for good design and great durability. We visited the company in Berne IN and were very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their sofas or chairs. One style they carry to satisfy the older population. It's very conservative and hard to sit on (for bad backs). Avoid this one style unless you're convinced you need it for your back. Their contemporary (I think they call it their transitional line) is very comfortable and well made, unless they've changed a lot over the past nine years.

One reason they might be so difficult to reach is that the company is run by Amish right in the middle of Amish country in Indiana. I can't swear this is the reason but it would make sense. I was told during the tour that there were a couple of people who worked for the company who wouldn't use electric tools. I know that the president of the company is Amish. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they don't work with computers and hire someone to take care of the computer end of the business for them. Just a guess and I hope it alleviates some frustration.

From Patricia Hindelang, 5/1/2009  5:36 PM

Do you have a local distributor in my area. Zip 48304 ...thanks

From Mel Heintz, 4/24/2009  8:36 AM

Redekers in Boone, IA carries Smith Brothers furniture.
We shopped Homemakers for a leather couch, chair and ottoman. Although $299.00 Cheaper at Homemakers, Redekers
matched there price and delivered for free where Homemakers
charges $60.00.

From Jon, 4/9/2009  3:45 PM

Jana:

I know you said Northern Indiana / Southwest Michigan, but . . . The best examples of Smith Brothers in northern Indiana (northeast) is Habegger Furniture in Fort Wayne. They have a special arrangement with Smith Brothers' factory and have the widest selection.

Good Luck

Jon_______________________

From Judy, 4/8/2009  1:01 PM

For anyone looking for Smith Brothers of Berne furniture in the TWIN CITIES area of Minnesota, they have a retailer in Forest Lake, Mn. Their name is
THE AMISH STORE & the phone # is 651 982 6380. Hope this helps. I just ordered a sofa from them.

From Jana, 4/7/2009  11:25 AM

We are searching for smith brothers dealers in the northern IN or southwest MI area. Any recommendations and names of dealers would be most appreciated.

From Jon, 4/3/2009  12:14 PM

To Jim (3/7 & 3/9): If you ever check back to this thread, I'm glad to hear the positive experience you had with Smith Brothers.

Hilliards Furniture has been selling Smith Bros for almost 15 years and they are really WONDERFUL people to work with. We used to live in South Bend and found the folks at River Park to be very nice as well. As a dealer of Smith Bros, we hope you come to find out what a quality product they manufacture. Check out their #932 Tilt-back chair & ottoman . . . it's amazing!

From Kristi, 3/18/2009  5:49 PM

I also am a Furniture MN victim, fortunately, I did use a credit card and have gotten a credit. I had an order for Smith Bros. furniture and am looking for a MN dealer also. Where did you go, Curt?

From Carol, 3/15/2009  2:45 PM

Another Furniture Minnesota victim. We still would like to purchase a Smith Brothers couch and chair but don't know of any MN dealers. Can you help Curt?

From Carol, 3/15/2009  2:44 PM

Another Furniture Minnesota victim. We still would like to purchase a Smith Brothers couch and chair but don't know of any MN dealers. Can you help Curt?

From Jim, 3/9/2009  5:33 AM

Follow up on the above:

Called RiverPark Furniture in Mishauwaka IN area; drove an hour and an half down and picked up the (above) piece. Very nice people; saved a boatload of money and will never step inside the local 'chain' Smith Brothers dealer again. Very nice Mom and pop store in an old neighborhood with a good selection. They even happened to have a 5000 series (2" taller in the back) to sit in; which allowed us to feel more comfortable about ordering. More and more confident that we made the right decision by going with Smith Brothers; as nobody seems to build a product like it that we can determine (spring set within every cushion coupled with the high quality foam).
A big thanks to the people of this forum with a suggestion to go see the owners at RiverPark (be patient; as they were surprisingly pretty busy) if you appreciate industry experience (2nd gen.) and what turned out to be for us, a fair price.

Btw, we have no connection with these people and heard of them from a higher end dealer in the South Bend area (starts with a G?) who recommended RiverPark.

From Curt, 3/7/2009  7:52 PM

We too ordered Smith Bros of Berne furniture from Furniture Minnesota in September of 2008. In February we were notified that Furn Minn would not be able to fulfill our order due to their loss of credit line from their bank. Thankfully we used Visa for our deposit. Found another store that handles Smith Bros but at a 35% premium over Furn Minn. Hopefully Furn Minn will provide everyone with a refund. They've been in business a long time and we had very good service from them in the past.

From Jim, 3/7/2009  3:15 AM

We are in the market for a 5000 series Grade 2 leather sectional (RAFCS;ARMLSO;LAFCHS) and are being quoted approx. $8,000 OTD/delivered from a full commission sales person.

#1...is this price a reasonable one to pay in this economy (Michigan) and

#2...if so, could we possibly squeeze in a chaise ottoman (CHSOT) without both parties walking away from the table unnecessarily?

It is amazing to witness these well established furniture retailers heavily advertise these (supposedly) big sales in these HUGE showrooms...and you're the only one in the place on a good business night.

I honestly don't know how they do it in some of these high profile locations.

Thanks in advance!

From helen, 3/1/2009  11:17 AM

To all of you looking for Smith Brothers of Berne furniture in the Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia area: Room Concepts has a nice selection and very accomodating sales staff. The store has locations in Wexford and the south hills of Pittsburgh (Whitehall).
We have been VERY pleased with the quality of the furniture, reasonable cost, and helpful service. I'd highly recommend this store to anyone looking for good quality furniture that's made in the U.S.

From Peggy, 2/24/2009  9:48 AM

Ok, after reading all these messages I'm having second thoughts about purchasing 3 chairs from these folks. I have to admit I was sold on the quality and comfort of the merchandise I saw at Goods in Kewanee, IL. But I'm not so sure spending over $4,300 on this furniture is such a good idea if so many people are experiencing customer service issues. This furniture is NOT CHEAP and you expect quality fabric and construction at those prices. I find it interesting too that the website does not list retailers. You would think they would be proud of that and want people to easily find where their product can be purchased. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to do more shopping before I place an order.

From Disappointed, 2/22/2009  11:25 AM

Has anyone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area been ripped off by Furniture Minnesota on Payne Ave. who carries Smith Brothers of Berne? I ordered 3 couches, 2 chairs and an ottoman all of the Smith Brothers line through Furniture MN and now they say they are unable to complete the order and will "try" to pay us back. I tried calling Smith Brothers to see if the orders were ever even placed---the first time I called they were very rude. The second time they said the orders weren't placed and I would need to go through another retailer in my area. The mo__l of this story is not purchase anything in this economy with a check--always use a Visa, MC, or AMEX so that your purchase is insured. I'm out $7K from this mess.

From pagirl, 2/19/2009  9:57 AM

If you are looking for Peter Lorentz/Smith Brothers of Berne in the Philadelphia area, try Bondi's Furniture in Norristown, PA. They don't stock it, but they can get you fabric samples and order it for you.

From Chris, 2/6/2009  9:09 PM

I would not recommend Smith Bros of Berne and I would not recommend going to Bilt-Rite Furniture to the person from Milwaukee, Wi. My sofa and chair are only 3 months old, I'm the only person sitting on them and the sofa springs are sqeaking and the chair makes cracking noises everytime you move in it. Also, some of the fabric is already fraying on the chair. Since I have 2 pieces of new furniture that are below average quality I have asked for a refund. Bilt-Rite customer service will not even consider that idea. I just want to get this stuff out of my house!

From Paige, 2/6/2009  1:55 PM

Smith Brothers furniture is all made in Berne, Indiana. they get their wood in plank form and mill it and build the frames themselves. The springs are designed and made especially for them by a company in the US-- no other company has the same springs in their furniture. The fabric is sourced from fabric mills all over the world-- about 40% domestic but it varies season to season. It is important, like someone said, to keep your lifestyle in mind when choosing fabrics and keep in mind that the company only guarantees frame work-- fabric issues are handled on a case by case basis but they have integrity and would not try to leave customers with poor merchandise. there is no dealer locator on the website for good reasons-- trust me. if you want to call customer service for information on where to find sb furniture, the number is 260-589-2131. for the person in texas, there are a few stores there-- it is a new territory for the company-- try Stacy furniture in grapevine (near dallas). no stores in colorado yet. sorry. it's great furniture, don't be afraid!

From Elaine, 2/6/2009  1:19 PM

I am considering purchasing a section from Smith Bros of Berne. After a disaster with PA House furniture owned by Lazy Boy I am terrified. My PA House furniture must have been made "off shore", it is thread bear and the cushions are flat after one year of wear, basically by one person!

Does anyone know if Smith Bros of Berne manufacture all of their furniture in the US. Are the frames US made?

From Jerome Ten Haken, 1/31/2009  1:47 PM

Would like to know if there are any dealers for Smith Brothers furniture in or near Colorado Springs. I'm amazed that such a large co. doesn't list a dealer network on it's website. Also couldn't find a co. phone #?? Unbelievable!!

From Kathy from Carterville, 1/28/2009  6:05 PM

We are about to purchase a Smith Bros of Berne sofa and chair. The fabric discussions are eye opening. Does anyone have a comment on fabric pattern 194903--100% polyester, Grade AA; or Pattern 219218--56% Rayon, 29% Polyester, 15% Cotton. Grade UU30 This multifiber fabric is a soft velvet-like feel. I am a novice at furniture selection, so any input would help.

From Cyndy, 1/27/2009  9:34 PM

We were close to buying Smith Bros. sofas but after reading about the fabric, might not. I found it strange that the fabric had no rating for durability. The salesperson said they all wear the same. Can that be?

From Lori, 1/26/2009  7:29 PM

Looking for a whole sale place that sells Smith Brothers furniture. I live in Canton, Michigan (near Detroit)

From tom, 1/19/2009  3:33 PM

store location in western PA

From Patrick, 1/3/2009  9:46 PM

Would definately recommend Smith Brothers leather. We purchased one 5-6 years ago and love it. My family has been buying furniture from Wayside in Akron ohio for over 30 years.

From Conor, 12/31/2008  4:28 PM

For those looking for a phone number to Smith Brothers of Berne, it is (260) 589-2131. I found it on Google typing "Smith furniture Berne, IN". When I called to ask for locations in northern Illinois, the woman who answered was very helpful. She asked for my area code and began to list cities I lived near. I picked three out of the eight or so she ticked off, and she provided the names of the stores as well as addresses.

I am interested in their leather recliners and was wondering if anyone has had any postive or negative experiences with them? Thanks in advance.

From Linda Loebach, 12/9/2008  6:49 PM

I sell smith brothers furniture at Maggie's Place in shorewood, il

From Maureen, 12/9/2008  4:25 PM

Biltrite Furniture in Milwaukee is having a factory authorized Smith Brothers of Berne sale right now with extra savings beyond their Holiday sale prices. Smith Brothers gives excellent customer service, noone should be afraid to buy from them, they just like to run everyghing through a dealer for quality control. They usually make it right the first time, and are quick to give great service if anything is not right. I noted a few postings about fabric problems. You have to remember that the factory does not make the fabric, they are made by fabric mills, and sadly in the last few years the majority of US fabric mills have been victims of the poor economy, so there is now a plethura of cheap imported fabrics. I would stay away from the rayon chenilles they are not wearing well.

From cathy, 12/5/2008  10:45 PM

does anyone know of a retaailer that carries smith brother furniture in new hampshire or massachusetts

From janie, 12/4/2008  11:19 PM

I saw a couch and a nice chair with ottoman made by Smith Brothers of Berne today at Macon Furniture in NC.
After reading some of the posts it looks like those that purchased there furniture 5 or more years ago are happy and those that recently purchased have complaints.

ANy comments? Thanks.

From Dennis, 12/4/2008  5:46 PM

To Barb in Milwaukee. If you are still looking for it, You can find Smith Brothers of Bernie furniture at BiltRite Furniture, 5430 W. Layton Ave. Greenfield, WI Phone 414 238-2020.

From Kathy, 11/29/2008  3:14 PM

Michigan: McMillin's Furniture in Yale (about an hour north of Detroit near Port Huron) carries Smith Furniture. Their # is 800-421-5837.

From bernerd, 11/24/2008  10:44 PM

Why is it Smith Brothers of Berne's web site gives no
help or direction on their web site? No Retail store Listings & No contact us on their website or even a phone number. Not sure I want to spend a lot money, with a company that does not provide the basics.

From rosemary, 11/14/2008  8:44 PM

My husband and I are considering purchasing two leather couches, one leather chair and two upholstered occasional chairs from Smith of Berne from Wayside Furniture in Akron, Ohio. We were quite impressed with the quality of the pieces and the many choices for upholstery. I did look at Smith of Berne website and found it not to be very accomodating. At any rate, would anyone recommend their leather furniture.

From Barb, 11/3/2008  11:08 AM

WHERE in Milwaukee, Wi can I find out who carries the Smith Brothers of Berne line ?
Thanks for your time.

From Nancy, 10/25/2008  11:34 PM

I have 3 sofas from Them and all are good!!! But i would never buy again!!! Any company that doesnt want to give a Customer service Number or any information to contact them Must have to many complaints!!! There is other good companies out there!!

From ellis fourman, 10/24/2008  8:46 PM

Does in any furniture Store in Alanta, Georgia carry smith Brothers furniture from Berne indiana

From ellis fourman, 10/24/2008  8:43 PM

Are there andy dealers of Smilth Brothers furniture of Berne indiana in alanta Georgia

From Al, 10/24/2008  11:02 AM

If your looking for a dealing of Smith Bros furniture,
check A Jesen Furniture on Rte 40, New Castle, DE
www.ajensenfurniture.com

From michelle, 10/1/2008  8:23 AM

I am looking for a retailer of Smith Brothers furniture in New Jersey. I was about to purchase
a sectional at Oscar Hubar's but they just filed bankruptcy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From Diane, 9/29/2008  9:01 PM

I've been waiting over 4 months for a sofa and chair ordered from Smith Brothers through Amish furiniture in Gurnee, IL. Retailer said Smith Borthers wouldn't give them any information about my order or shipping dates. Anyone else have this problem?

From steve, 9/19/2008  7:35 AM

Hello, just puchased a leather Smith Bro. Berne's sofa. Saw a S B chair we liked but the dealer can not order the chair in other fabrics. The dealer is not going to carry S B any longer. The dealer was Lauman's. Anyone know of another dealer in the Baltimore area. Thanks !!

From Betsy, 9/16/2008  4:53 PM

I admit Smith Brothers website is very frustrating and needs to be seriously updated. But don't give up. they are a very small family owned company and make an excellent product. You won't be disappointed. I have had a Smith sectional for 5 plus years still looks great. getting ready to purchase another sofa from them. We also have about 4 different chair styles from Smith. In regards to the people with fabric issues, remember that your lifestyle should determine the fabric you select, not just what matches your wall color or carpet. Also, Smith only constructs the furniture and buys the fabric from other sources, they are not a mill. A source for Smith in Michigan is Vermeulen Furniture in Kalamazoo and Jackson. they have an extensive fabric selection and Kalamazoo (Portage) store has just increased to the full line of fabrics.

From Jan, 9/13/2008  10:32 PM

Saw a sofa, chair, and ottoman today that I'm considering (from Asbury House in Erie, PA), but after reading some of the negative comments about follow up customer service, standing behind their warranty, etc....I don't know if it would be a wise purchase.

From Jan, 9/7/2008  11:14 AM

Try Slate Quarry Furniture in Delta, PA

From jean pierre bessette, 9/5/2008  9:57 AM

please,
can you ask your Québec rep. (Rick) to call me at 514.998.4339.
I used to work at Mobilier Philippe Dagenais, and i need more informations.

thanks

Jean Pierre Bessette II
Laval, Québec
Canada

From Margie, 8/17/2008  7:47 AM

Hi Cara,
Have you found a Smith Brothers retailer, yet? I'm from the northern suburbs of Detroit and found Fenton Hm Furnishings. Have 3 stores, Fenton, Waterford and Lapeer. Also, I think Winglemier's in Holly also sells Smith Brothers.

Smith Brothers also has a website but found not very helpful. The selection is limited and no follow up for
contacts.

I did find a website of a Amish retailer, www.amish-oak.com, which shows more of a selection but does not provide sizes of the furniture but at least they have a phone number.

I have been shopping for about 6 months. I have hit every furniture store in the area. Many different prices. Once you decide on your style of sofa, I have found the manufacturers have similar styles, from ArtVan to Drexel with varied prices. Most warranties are the same. Except for Smith Brothers which is hard to compete. I found Smith Brothers prices at Fenton Hm to be reasonable. In the middle price range, you are buying a sofa not a car. But you want something that will maintain it's appearance.   

The only issue I have with Smith Brothers with their product, is that they are not flexible with cushion upgrades or style changes. For example, to upgrade to a firmer cushion, or sofa skirts. Your choices are what is in their catalog. If you are able to work around that, it definitely is worth checking out. Hope this helps.

From jerry, 8/9/2008  6:27 PM

Marian, did you find a dealer anywhere in Wisconsin? Please let me know. jerry jerrysmarylour@yahoo.com thanks.

From Maire, 8/5/2008  4:46 PM

I think its crazy that Smith Brothers of Berne's website doesn't have
1) a "find a retailer" function
2) email for questions
3) a phone number

Do they even want to sell furniture?

I looked at some furniture and still had some questions, mostly regarding fabric durablity (and the fact that they have a really weak yes no durablity rating).
Called the number here - fairly abrupt - we don't answer questions, you have to go through the dealer. Barely polite.

I can't imagine what it would be like if you had a problem, or wanted to kick in that warranty on your cushions in 5 years. What if your dealer goes out of business? Hey, don't call us!

You'd think they were the CIA or something.

From vickie thompson, 8/3/2008  9:24 AM

Can we buy direct from the manufacture?

From Brian, 7/27/2008  1:50 AM

For those in Illinois and perhaps eastern Iowa, Good's Furniture in Kewanee Illinois carries Smith Brothers of Berne.

From marian, 7/22/2008  2:22 PM

Could you please give me a funiture dealer name and address, phone for racine, milwaukee, kenosha wisconsin area that sells smith brothers furniture.

From tracy, 7/17/2008  9:44 PM

Sheeley's Furniture
11450 South Ave
North Lima OH
330-549-3901

Easy to get to from Pittsburgh!

I have two Smith Bros of Berne wing chairs purchased 10 years ago. They still look brand new and the have outlasted the other furniture in the family room!

From Susan Gorby, 7/16/2008  1:21 AM

I would like to know of any other dealers besides Miller's Furniture in Valparaiso, IN 46383 that carry any selection, I love what I see but I would like to try out some more. I would never buy without sitting on it first. I would say within a 50 mile radius.
As so many people have mentioned, why would it be so difficult for you to have your web site list distributor's addresses/phone numbers.
Thank you, Susan Gorby

From mike, 7/12/2008  10:45 PM

Dave Gagnier, the Thomasvill store in Novi, on Grand River about a mile east of Novi Rd carries Smith Bros.

From Cheryl Goodwin, 7/11/2008  1:34 PM

Hello!
I found a chair that I like and would like to purchase and possibly an ottman. The chair is SB 939
I would like the swivel/rocker.
Pattern 222315.....Grade GG
Please let me know the pricing of both and if it is available. The chair was 33 High......34 Wide.......27 deep. It is for my office which is small so therefore I like the chair because of the size. Thanks.

From Judy, 7/10/2008  7:51 PM

Dow Furniture on Rt. 31 in North Aurora, IL also sells their furniture 211 S. Lincolnway (Rt. 31), North Aurora, IL 60542 (630) 896-5862 They have a small but very nice showroom and helpful staff. A friend saw an item she liked there but she lives near Atlanta. Any chance someone knows of availability in Georgia??

From Dave Gagnier, 5/26/2008  8:01 PM

I can't believe it is so difficult to find the name and address of a retailer that sells Smith Brothers furniture. As indicated on your web site you receive numerous inqiries from people trying to locate a retailer. Why do you make it so difficult for people to find a retailer who sells your furniture. Why don't you have a list of dealers that someone could plug into,by zip code. I like your furniture but why do I have to go to such lengths to find one in the metropolitan Detroit Michigan area...Very frustrated.....Dave

From Lynn Ballou, 5/22/2008  3:30 PM

Is there any dealers for Smith of Berne in Chicago area? Why doesn't Smith Bros have a dealer look up on their web site????

From Judy, 5/14/2008  2:31 PM

Kelsey Furniture in Tuscola, IL is a Smith Bros. of Berne distributor. Bought my sleeper sofa in 1994 from Kelsey's and am now finally in need of replacing it. Lots of use in the familyroom with growing children! Fabric held up great until recently. Kelsey's telephone number is 217-253-2142.

From Michele Trout, 4/28/2008  4:36 PM

I am looking for two sofas by Smith Brothers of Berne in Indiana - The Peter Lorentz Collection - # 200207682.
Is there anyone who discounts this furniture? Please advise. Thank you.   Michele Trout

From Jeanette, 4/24/2008  2:28 PM

Loretta,

I am looking for Style #658 Leather Chair & Ottoman.
In the brown leather. Does your store carry it?
THANK YOU!

From loretta, 4/8/2008  1:00 PM

looking for style sofa 655
do you make this . I have a customer that is looking for this style. I work for the Amish Furniture Gallery
in Naperville Il. We sell your furniture.
Please let me know .
Thank You

Loretta

From Jeanette, 3/27/2008  10:36 AM

I have a leather sofa of Smith Brothers of Berne, Inc and would love to find chair to match. The local store has closed where I purchased the sofa.
Why doesn't their main company web page share locations or dealers that have their furniture?
I would like to find one ina 100 miles of Bloomington/Normal, IL 61704.
Thank you!

From Brian, 3/19/2008  11:58 AM

MaryAnn,

Good luck with that, keep us informed what happened.

From Sandy, 3/17/2008  10:31 PM

Charles...you can find Smith Brothers of Berne furniture at Kay Furniture in Smithville MO. They seem knowledgeable, and in fact are planning to make this furniture a greater part of their inventory in the future.

From MaryAnn, 3/13/2008  1:49 PM

I have purchased chair/ottoman previously by Smith Bros of Berne and was very happy with the quality/longevity of the pieces. Recently ordered 2 chairs/ottoman by same via Andrea's in Sugarcreek,Ohio and definitely unhappy with the quality of the workmanship: fabric gathering in some areas, ordered contrasting welting to be done on the diagonal instead received welting that is unmatched on the 2 chairs, nailheads visible under the fabric along the sides of one chair, etc. Currently have not paid for the items other than deposit for custom order, am working with retailer and outcome is pending.   

From Brian, 3/3/2008  11:02 AM

I just wanted to add to this thread. I'm referring to Smith Brothers of Berne furniture.

I notice people asking for locations in the Western PA/NY and Eastern Ohio regions. I can say that Asbury House (google it) has the line in Erie, PA. Erie is about an hour and 1/2 south of Buffalo, an hour and 1/2 east of Cleveland and about 2 hours north of Pittsburgh.

I'd like to see some more reviews including what style and fabric you have.

To the few who have posted problems, I hope you get things resolved. My suggestions is first point of contact is where you purchased the furniture. I would call, take notes of the conversation and wait a few days before calling back. After two calls and waiting a bit afterwards if you still don't get anywhere then call the manufacturer and ask to speak to customer service. Remember to always takes note of date/times/persons name when calling.

From Pam, 2/29/2008  11:28 AM

It would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL if everyone would be very careful to always use the full name Smith Brothers of Berne when referring to that company and simply Smith Brothers when referring to the other company. This may already be happening but with the confusion over their phone numbers, etc. I would like to be confident of which company the negative remarks in particular are in regards to. Is it Smith Brothers or Smith Brothers of Berne? I am looking at Smith Brothers of BERNE and want to be sure the negative feedback does not relate to that company.

From Pam Kinser, 2/28/2008  9:46 PM

I am looking at a sectional by Smith Bro. I need the one with the wedge corner. The wedge corner option does not come with the loose back cushion option. In the past I had a problem with the semi-attached back cushions becoming ripped away from the sofa back (not Smith brand though). Has anyone had the attached back cushions on any of their sofas for a very long time? If so, how much wear does your sofa get and has this been a problem? Our sofas get alot of use and need to hold up well. I'm sure if the back cushion came loose it would be considered excessive wear and not covered by the warranty so I need to know how it may hold up with lots of traffic.

From Charles, 2/26/2008  7:37 AM

Looking for retail outlet in kansas city area now that Georgetown furniture in liberty mo has gone out of business.

From Jodi Foley, 2/25/2008  11:24 AM

Does anyone know a retailer in the Cleveland, OH area that carries Smith Brothers furniture?

From marlene, 2/23/2008  10:34 PM

I would like to know if anyone has had a successful
conversation with Smith Brothers regarding their
guarantee and repairs? I have a couch which I have alll
the paperwork on, it is probably about 10 years old.
The fabric is like new but the springs are begining
to sag. I would like to have it take care of, but
need to know if its worth the time and effort.   

From Ellen, 2/23/2008  7:14 PM

I would like to know a retailer in Louisville, KY area.
I have located a furniture store in Bowling Green, KY
who showed the line to me and I was really inpressed.
After reading the many customer service problems I may rethink any purchase but I would like to look again and discuss this information.

From Tammy, 2/22/2008  4:40 PM

I am looking for a retailer in the Pittsburgh area that carries Smith Brothers of Berne furniture. I have a country theme in my home and found the perfect sofa in a catalog, but can't buy online. Please help!!tH

From Kelly Grim, 2/22/2008  11:12 AM

Michigan Inquiries you can find Smith Brothers at Crickets Home Furnishings in Diamondale (near Lansing) the number is: 517-646-8870.

We are in the process of purchasing furniture for 3 rooms at Crickets for Smith Brothers.

From lynneellis, 2/9/2008  10:24 PM

I am considering leather sofa - have looked at Smith Brothers, Klaussner, Flexsteel and Elite. Like Smith Brothers and Klaussner - any comments as to comparison in service, warranty, product & price?

From lindafoster, 2/7/2008  1:06 PM

Looking for retailer that sells smithbrothers within a 70 miles of zip code 42276

From barbara calnin, 2/2/2008  9:57 AM

Please tell me a retailer that sells smith bros. chairs. I live in the southwest of michigan, just over the indians state line. New Buffalo,MI 49117

Thank you

From tom, 1/29/2008  3:11 PM

I dont really agree with these last couple of posts. I have quite the background with Smith Brothers of Berne and I feel that the furniture is exceptional. They really put in a great deal of time and effort in making premier sofas and sectionals. You really can't go wrong with Smith Brothers of Berne. Thanks and have a good day!

From Denise, 1/28/2008  11:51 AM

No VA store is The Guest Room, in Leesburg, VA. 703-771-9484

From Kandie, 1/21/2008  5:41 PM

This is for Rhonda. I'm looking at a strip fabric do you know the name and/or number of that fabric?   Thanks Kandie

From Debbie, 1/7/2008  7:12 PM

I purchased a chair of ottoman made by Smith Bros in August 2007. It was purchased at Gerdt Furniture, Indianapolis, In. The chair is a stripe pattern, (geometric stripe, BUT a stripe none the less). The upholstery on the chair is a joke. It has gathering where it should NOT be (just on one side), the stripe runs at an angle on the back side of the chair, the cushion stripes do NOT match up with the chair front, the cushion upholstery seams along the side are NOT on the edges of the core(right side is on the TOP edge, left side is on the side edge). Smith did NOT do a match on the cushion. The fabric is literally reverse of what it should be. I received this chair in August. It has been returned to the furniture store but they will not back me. Gerdt Furniture has told me the chair was repaired, but I have pics of the before and after the repairs and NOTHING was done. I'm getting nothing but promises from Smith Bros. The Smith Bros rep said Frank Schumacher, president of Gerdt furniture will call me, but no calls. I called the Smith Bros rep AGAIN and still promised a call..it doesn't appear the call is going to happen. Since they have my money and my chair, and seem to be willing to do nothing about the problem, I am forced to get my money back thru other means. Good Luck when purchasing from this company.

I have written opinions of professional upholsters to back up my complaints.

From Jerry Conway, 1/3/2008  10:30 AM

I am looking for a new or used Smith Brother's sofa and two matching chairs - model # 207 with oak trim. Smith Brother's recently stopped makeing this model. My eamil is jerryconway#charter.net. Thanks

From Kathy, 12/19/2007  10:37 AM

Michigan: You can purchase Smith Brothers furnishings at Gray's Furniture in Mt Pleasant, MI.

From Dave Hamilton, 12/2/2007  5:20 PM

We recently looked at furniture made by Smith Brothers of Berne, Inc in Dayton OH. We are remodeling a home in
Hilton Head Island, SC and would like to find a retailer
in that area. Any help is appreciated!

From Deb from Kalamazoo, 11/23/2007  11:51 PM

I have purchased 2 Smith Brothers sofas and have had excellent luck with both. I'm looking to buy new furniture and will probably look for Smith Bros again. My furniture is still good but would like something different.

From Irina, 11/21/2007  8:15 AM

TEXAS DEALER:
We are also looking for a dealer of SB furniture in Texas. Please help :)

From R Warfel, 11/16/2007  5:24 PM

We are looking for a dealer of Smith Brothers furniture for Northern Virginia; anyone have any recommendations.

From carol, 11/13/2007  11:08 AM

We have purchased sofas and loveseats from Smith Brothers and are very happy with our purchases. In fact, in 1988, we purchased a sofa and a love seat that we passed down to our married daughter. They are still using it in their family room and have 3 small children and the only issue that they have with it, is that the fabric is wearing thin. After almost20 years the cushions are still holding up really well, and the frame is still strong. We think the product is excellent and are currently looking to purchase a new sofa and loveseat from Smith Brothers.

From Cindy, 11/11/2007  11:40 PM

Where can you buy a Smith Brothers sofa near Lynchburg, VA?

From Ronda, 11/8/2007  12:50 PM

I saw that a few other people wrote or responded. Michelle said that she was not sure about customer service and I can tell you that you need to back to the place of sales first and then Smith Brothers. My experience has been that at least with the place that I purchased my furniture did not want to take responsibility nor did Smith Brothers. It was not until I asked to speak with someone from the top that I finally made some headway and I am still waiting to hear back. But in the mean time I did finally reach someone from Smith Brothers that listened and seamed to understand my point which was that my furniture was showing wear in a different pattern then just where it was used. I did all that they suggested which was turn the cushions and rotate etc. on a regular basis and had it cleaned according to the what I was told. Irregardless it is not wearing in a normal fashion. I believe there is a flaw ion the fabric. That is something that the place of sales can not tell me but Smith Brothers I am sure keeps track of or can look in to. This is why I thought it was up to them to check it out. I was told by at least one possibly two of the customer service reps. at S/B's that they were told to hang up if they could not answer a question and the person was insistent. I found that to be outrageous!!!
Do you call that customer service? I don't think so...

From Ronda, 11/8/2007  12:10 PM

I have smith brothers furniture and the frame work is great but the fabric is terrible (sucks). I have had it for a while but the fabric is wearing mostly in one particular area a certain line in the plaid and the rest is wearing normally. I have had friends, relatives comment on the fact that it appears that there may be a flaw in the fabric. I called Smith Brothers and was hung up on me when attempting to find out about this. I was professional and I went back to the dealer who sold me the furniture and they seemed indifferent and told me that they can not tell the other company that they purchase from how to do business. I disagree if you are going to sell and promote a product both the manufacturer and the companies that provide them with the materials and the company that sells it... they all should accept responsibility and be willing to look into any problem that may exist, especially when they charge the higher prices and make the claims of being a high standard.
I am waiting for a response and if I am not happy I will do two things. I will post images of my furniture on YTube and I will not purchase from the point of sales or the manufacturer again.

From Michelle, 10/14/2007  2:15 AM

We haven't had great luck with Smith Brothers. We've had our furniture...2 oversized chairs and a couch...for 5 years. The only fabric that has held up well is a suede type of fabric. We actively use our furniture everyday and have been very disappointed with the other fabrics. They have worn through on one chair and the fabric on the couch is part blended cotton felt and it balls up like crazy! I have an awful time with stains as well. The springs on the couch are wearing out and the frame of one chair broke! And please know that we don't allow the kids to jump or hop or anything on the furniture. I need to call but haven't gotten a chance. Not sure about the customer service...hope it's good and they at least can fix the broken frame for us.

From Audrey, 10/13/2007  10:18 PM

Lauman's Home Furnishings sells Smith Brothers furniture
8650 Belair Rd.
Perry Hall, MD 21236

Also, Oak Tree in Columbia, MD.

From Serena, 10/8/2007  7:12 AM

I am looking for a Smith Bros of Berne retailer in Southern Pennsylvania or Maryland. Thanks.

From Paula, 10/6/2007  9:45 PM

We purchased two rooms of Smith Brothers furniture 4 years ago when we moved into a new home. The pieces still look like new! The construction is the best!! The cushions are amazing and the upholstery detail is perfect. It is well worth the price. We are in the Kansas City area and shopped at Georgetown Furniture in Liberty, MO.

From Janie, 9/29/2007  3:18 PM

Hello Texas!
Does anyone out there know of a Smith Brothers retailer in Texas? Thanks-

From jim, 9/4/2007  4:47 PM

I am looking for a list of retailers that sell Lexington by Henery Link in Illinois.

From Cathy, 8/30/2007  10:21 AM

Does anyone know of a Smith Brothers of Berne dealer in the Pittsburgh, PA area?

Has ayone bought any of their leather pieces? THanks.

From debbie, 8/29/2007  12:07 PM

Just found retailer in Liberty, Mo (suburb of Kansas City) for Smith Brothers furniture.
Georgetown Furniture is the name of the retailer. Great sales and service.

From Cara, 8/28/2007  10:48 PM

Looking for a retailer of Smith Bros. furniture in metro Detroit/Flint area in Michigan. Anyone know of one? Any idea of what price range these sofas are running? Have relaxed on one at a friend's multiple times and really impressed with the quality and comfort.

Thanks!
Cara

From Kristine Smith, 7/31/2007  9:35 PM

I am looking for a store in North Carolina near Charlotte that sells Smith Brothers furniture. Nora did you have any luck finding one?

From Terri, 7/28/2007  11:20 AM

I am shopping for a new sofa and I am impressed with the quality of Smith Brothers. Georgetown Furniture of Liberty, MO ( Kansas City Area) is where I am looking. The sales lady was wonderful in explaining the product.

From beverly Clark, 7/23/2007  6:59 AM

Uhlmanns in Grinnell Iowa carries Smith Bros of Berne...I got mine there and love all of the pieces!

From Kathy, 6/17/2007  11:09 PM

I am looking for a retailer that sells Smith Bros of Berne furniture in Iowa, but not Homemaker's Furn in Des Moines. Can anyone help. Thanks

From Kim, 4/25/2007  10:19 AM

If you're looking for a store that carries Smith Brothers Furniture in the Indianapolis area, I just saw a small sectional last week at the Gerdt Furniture Store in Avon, just west of Indy.

From Nora, 4/17/2007  9:18 AM

Does anyone know of a store in North Carolina that sells Smith Brothers furniture? I am not looking for a discount - I just don't want to move it from my store in Maryland to North Carolina. Thanks!

From marsha urban, 4/13/2007  8:33 PM

I am looking for a store in Indianapolis that carriesw Smith Brothers Furniture..can anyone help me out?

From Patrick, 4/2/2007  4:15 PM

RE Julie:

" Is there a retailer of Smith Bros. furniture in the Kansas City area?
Thanks!"

Julie,

We just got done shopping and found Smith Bros. furniture at Kay Furniture in Smithville. I'm thinking of purchasing a oversized chair & sofa from them. Decent pricing, and I couldn't get my wife out of the chair at the store!

From Ann, 3/28/2007  4:37 PM

We recently bought our Smith Bros. furniture from a small retailer in Columbia, Mo. And we are soooo glad we did. We had planned to purchase the furniture from a retailer in St. Louis. But, that furniture store closed just before we could place the order. I found The Home Store in Columbia. It's very small.....the owner is the nicest person to deal with...very professional. And we saved close to $2000 over what we would have paid to the St. Louis dealer. The Home Store doesn't have any sales......they just charge a little over the invoice price. I would highly recommend The Home Store in Columbia, MO. We are thrilled with our Smith Bros. furniture!!

From Julie, 3/28/2007  1:38 PM

Is there a retailer of Smith Bros. furniture in the Kansas City area?
Thanks!

From Laura, 3/19/2007  10:15 AM

The phone number listed for Smith Brothers is incorrect. That is actually a phone number for Berne Furniture which is in the same area as Smith Brothers. The actual number for Smith Brothers is 260-589-2131. Thanks to Berne Furniture for taking the time to look up the hard to find Smith Brothers number!

From Ann, 2/4/2007  4:11 PM

We recently purchased furniture from Smith Brothers of Berne after shopping for over 6 months. We are very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of their furniture. The fabric choices are numerous and beautiful. We bought a sofa and an over sized chair with ottoman. We are very pleased.

From Donna Marie, 2/4/2007  12:13 PM

We are considering buying a sofa by either Smith Brothers of Berne or by Masterfield. I'd be interested in comments from anyone who owns furniture from these as to what you think of the furniture. Thanks!

From Ann, 2/2/2007  6:23 PM

Here is the phone number for Smith Bros. Furniture. It is 260-589-2173.

I took delivery of my Smith Bros. Furniture about 3 weeks ago. I purchased it at The Home Store in Columbia, Mo. Hubby and I are very pleased with it.

From Dar Groendal, 2/1/2007  10:26 PM

Does any one have the customer service number to Smith Brothers? I have been waiting for a replacement sectional sofa through Great Lakes Interiors of Holland since September of 2006 only to find out yesterday Jan 31 2007 the the fabric is discontinued. They left a message on my voice mail telling me they want to refund my money and pick up the sectional sofa. I want to reselect a fabric and get the new sofa they promised.
I love my sofa except for the springs the won't stop squeeking... which they say is under warranty. I'm hoping to get some customer service directly from Smith Brothers.... WARNING!!!!!!!!! DON'T BUY ANYTHING FOR GREAT LAKEK INTERIOR!!!!!!! THE CUSTOMER SERVICE CONTACT "VIC" IS UNRELIABLE. PLEASE HELP WITH A DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER

From Kathy Novak, 9/15/2006  1:04 PM

I am looking for a sof and/or loveseat in fabric #14118. Who in my area can help me. My address is 3044 Ben Franklin Hwy., Ebensburg, PA   15931

From Ann, 9/6/2006  12:13 PM

I found a local retailer by calling customer service at the Smith Brothers factory in Berne, Indiana.

From Marguerite Hubers, 9/1/2006  11:03 AM

I am looking for a list of retailers that sell Smith Brothers of Berne Furniture in Indiana.