Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Unagusta Furniture

I bought an old vanity at an estate auction. It has 3 mirrors ( 2 that swivel ) and has a drawer and a storage cabinet on each side. There is a stamp on the back that says " Combination Walnut Veneer and Gumwood, Unagusta MFG CO Item # 205 " Does anyone have any idea how old this might be, or the value of this piece? thanks.

Posted By Dave Labbe, 2/5/2005

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From mallisonjohnson, 4/16/2021  4:37 PM

Unagusta furniture was founded in 1904 and manufactured in Haywood County, NC. The business suffered a fire in the 1950's. Lea Industries purchased the business in the 1960's. This information found on the Haywood County Public Library site and information credit belongs to Duane Oliver.

From William, 4/8/2011  2:19 PM

Inherited two twin size Sleigh Beds. The label on the headboard indicates these beds were sold at Bloomingdale Bros store, Hunters Point Ave & Skillman St,, Long Island City, NY.   The listed manufacture is Unagusta Manufacturing Co, Hazelwood, NC. These pieces have a mahogany finish. I'm guessing they were purchased between 1930 - 1940. Any suggestion/estimate on value range? Reply to: wsw9305@aol.com

From Henk, 4/5/2011  9:07 PM

The Unagusta Company seems to be a mistery based on the above messages. We inherited a piece with a label stating: " #26 American Walnut, Unagusta Manufacturing Co.". It is believed that the furniture is from the mid to late 1920's as other furniture from my grandparents have a similar time period. If anyone knows the history of the company or the furniture, please post it.
Thank you, Henk

From Melissa, 4/4/2011  2:08 PM

Hi my grandmother just passed away and i have gotten her bedroom set here is the info i find on it . . Unagusta manufacturing company o/o NY furniture exchange, 206 lexington avenue
pineapple fruits on bed posts
#25 hazelwood, NC on different parts of the pieces of furniture
anyone have any idea where to get an appraisal ??
if so please email me
diva69ct@yahoo.com

From Mrs. C. Costanzo, 3/22/2011  9:36 PM

I have my parents bedroom funiture that is stamped Median Unagusta and would like to know if this is made by the original company in North Carolina or is it a knock off? There are two long mirrors over a triple dresser, two end lamp tables and a high dresser with doors hiding inner drawers and lower drawers also.
I would appreciate any info on these as I plan to sell the set.

From corrie, 3/2/2011  11:43 PM

have a del mungo 6 piece walnut set also sounds just like roulands foulds item. any help?

From kathy yeka, 1/24/2011  12:38 PM

I purchased a complete bedroom set by Unagusta Mfg. Co.with a #4 engraved on back. It also has picture of an indian, Chief Unagusta in full headdress. Set includes Bed w/head and foot boards which have a white flower embossed on top of both. Dresser w/3 mirrored top and dressing table w/3 mirrored top also High bow with doors which opens to 6 drawers. All have the accent of white flower. Does anyone have similiar set? Paid $400. for all pcs. from an antique shop in Illinois.

From ROLAND FOWLKES, 1/22/2011  9:15 PM

I HAVE FUNITURE MADE BY UNAGUSTA-DEL MUNDO . IT CONISTS OF TWO ONE DRAWER NIGHT STANDS,AN ARMOIRE WITH TWO BOTTOMDRAWS,FOUR TOP DRAWERS WITH TWO DOORS,A SIX FOOT LONG DRESSER WITH FOUR CENTER DRAWERS,TWO END DOORS WITHFOUR DRAWERS,A ROUR FOOT MIRROR. FUNITURE IS MADE OF MAPLE OR MAHOGANY IN GOOD CONDITION AND VERY HEAVY.CAN ANYBODY TELL ME A VALUE OR ANYTHINGY ABOUT IT?

From rolandf2011, 1/3/2011  7:10 PM

i have funjture made by del mundo by unagusta i would like to know the value of it

From karen, 12/22/2010  3:42 PM

Just bought six drawers dresser in maple, I believe, marked Forward Furniture by Unagusta. Drawer boxes are wood and dovetailed, think it's from the fifties, but top appears to be a veneer, and maybe not a wood veneer...anyone know about construction during mid to late fifties of streamlined pieces?

From bridgett c., 10/17/2010  12:06 PM

MY AUNT HAS RECENTLY INHERETED 6 PIECES OF UNAGUSTA FURNITURE.THESE PEICES ARE NOT VENEERED.THE FOOT AND HEAD BOARDS HAVE THE PINEAPLES DESIGN ON THE POSTERS.THE PIECES ARE VERY HEAVY AND ARE IN GREAT CONDITION.I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR INFO ON THE CO. AND PERSONS WHOM MAY HAVE INFO ON THE FURNITURE ITSELF AND COME UP WITH NOTHING.ANY INFO WOULD GREATLY BE APPREC.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE VALUE IF POSS.THANKS

From Don Jenkins, 9/4/2010  5:05 PM

I have a wash stand says "for: Wilson Bros. Sylva NC
by Unaugausta Manufacturing. # 58 ? any idea's about value or any other details ? thaks Don Jenkins

From Kate, 3/31/2010  8:44 PM

I have a bedroom set state in the dresser with 9 drawers of which three on each side and doors with three drawers like slide outs in the center little like wicker by the center doors....on top has a double mirror with the same wicker....other piece is a tall dresser with one bottom big drawer and then doors with three drawers with partial glass fronts...cool bottom of those three drawers is divided in three. the head board and foot board also have the inlays of wicker as does the tall dresser. It states "Foward Furniture by Unagusta with Walnut on the back inked in "inspected by #10 It also has a label that states lot no. DH 2146 then in big letters 131 NorthAmerican. Wondering if anyone knows the year of this set I know this much it is very heavy!!!!!!!

From Mary Ann Smith, 2/11/2010  12:40 PM

I grew up and live in Waynesville. My grandfather was a finishing foreman at Unagusta Plant in Hazelwood until he passed away in 1959. We have a number of bedroom suits from this company...two or three with poster beds that are topped with pineapples and matching chests of drawers and dressers. One suit that we have is much older with detailed veneer work and a three-section mirror on the dresser. It also has a piece somewhat like a chest of drawers on the bottom but a semi-circle cabinet on the top. I have never seen a piece of furniture like this before and really do not know what it is called. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it!

From Sandra Thames, 1/4/2010  4:21 PM

I purchased new in 1966 a coffee table, side table, and
credenza which says Del Mundo bu Unagusta. The design is unique and the wood is beautiful. Don't know if this is the same co. or not, but am trying to get some info. Sandra

From randy, 12/28/2009  9:54 PM

i picked up a walnut veneered 8 drawer dresser by forward furniture by unigusta printed inside top left drawer.after looking i noticed it used to have a mirror on the back.any info on value or else would be a help

From DORENE BERGER, 9/11/2009  4:21 PM

HI, I HAVE ACQUIRED A FULL AMERICAN WALNUT BED WITH TWO LABELS THAT READ CHIEF UNAUGUSTA MGF. CO. HAZELTON N.C. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE HISTORY OR THE VALUE? THANKS DORENE

From kevin from boston, 7/11/2009  9:01 PM

i have a unagusta vanity with 3 mirrors, two that swivel it has the chipendale style legs on the back it is stamped...unagusta manufacturing company and has the picture of chief unagusta and a stamp saying #5 american walnut. any info on this piece will be greatly apreciated........thank you, kevin

From Tara, 6/17/2009  2:46 PM

I have a bedroom set that was bought by my parents when they married (1963). Weather is was new or used has been lost to history. The set includes a 2 draw nightstand. 5 drew high boy and a long dresser with 3 large middle draws with 3 smaller draws on both sides for a total on 9 draws. The stamp inside the drawn reads "Toulon by Unagusta". I have looked online but can not find the company or furniture. Any help is welcome.

From Art, 12/30/2008  11:05 PM

We have a 1959 Unagusta Forward Furniture Bedroom set (dresser with mirror and a 3 drawer chest). Kokobob, please contact me with any information or approximate appraisal. We've had a fire and the top surface was slightly damaged and I need to know the value of these pieces.

From kokobob, 7/21/2008  5:22 PM

Unagusta Furniture Co. was based in Waynesville NC in the 1940's/50/s until a terrible fire destructed the plant in 1959. It was rebuilt, but the ownership changed hands from the Prevosts and things were never the same. It was later lately changed to the Welbuilt name which it was not! In its day, it was renowned for quality solid and veneer furniture in the Chippendale style. If you have Unagusta, you must likely have quality pieces. It you wish other details, contact me.

From Alice, 12/3/2007  4:27 PM

We have a walnut Italian Prov. bedroom set made by Unaguasta called Forward Furniture.
Is there still a company or anyone making this anymore?

From william m.english, 10/22/2007  8:58 PM

I a chest of drawer,with dovetail and on top of chest theirs a panel,as if to keep thing from falling off back,combation walnut veneer&gumwood,it also has roller as feet-it has a picture of indian chief on back,also has a label with miller press inc.I had this chest about 25 years.Would like to know what's the value of chest.>>>>> thank you

From Steve Rho, 3/23/2007  12:55 PM

I have three Unagusta bedroom pieces that I inherited and were my late grandmother's wedding gift. There is a vanity w/ oval mirror, a larger 3 drawer dresser w/ oval mirror and a highboy. The furniture is very handsome and in decent condition. The sticker on the back also says Unagusta Furniture Co. Combination Walnut Veneer and Gumwood and has a #70 penciled on it. As far as dates go, I'm pretty sure these pieces were new in 1929-30 which is when my grandmother was married.
I have no idea of their value but plan on keeping them in my family for generations to come.

From kim, 12/13/2006  7:48 AM

I have a side table with chippendale style legs made from solid walnut with a sticker inside one of the 2 front drawers "Chief Unagusta Manufactoring Company" I was told that this piece dates back to the late 1700's. There are no records of his company after 1860's according to the Boston museum of natural history. The piece has been refinished and the drawers redone using the original faces with evidence of the dove tail. I have been looking for information on this company for years without much luck.

From Shelley King, 2/23/2006  10:21 AM

Hello -- I just inherited a gorgeous mahogany bed and dresser with swivel mirror. They are both stamped "Chief Unagusta" with a photo of him #80 on the dresser. Does anyone know the era or value? Many thanks! Shelley. sking@garbertravel.com

From Susan Kaveny, 3/12/2005  4:29 PM

The vanity with the three way mirror is a piece common from about 1923 to 1930. The chifferobe is maybe about five years older. It's called a chifferobe, by the way. Many manufacturers made these and some were in and out of business really fast or were local or in another line of work (like manufacturing coffins) and this was a sideline. You should go by the style and quality of the piece when determining it's value. These pieces were all veneered. Oak veneered pieces are older than walnut veneered ones. Mahogany veneered ones were made the whole time. The amount of inlay on the veneer and the amount of fine wood in places like the drawer bottoms are determining factors of quality.

From George Lincoln, 2/13/2005  11:53 AM

I was just given an Unagusta Maufacturing Co. Walnut Armoire: it is stamped No. 55 & also has: Chief Unagusta & a mini portrait of this/a chief. The piece has dual doors, drawers on the left side and a mini clothes hanger on the right. I do not know anything about this company, nor the history of the piece itself, except that is was my brother's, wife's grandfather's. Obviously, I will continue to research this and will update accordingly. thanks for your time, and good luck with your research!

From Guest, 2/5/2005  4:16 PM

Try contacting www.furniturebrains.com for a reasonably priced appraisal. A 1941 issue of FURNITURE WORLD Magazine has the following information: "Unagusta Manufacturing Corp, Hazlewood, NC make bedroom and dining room furniture." The article then goes on to give a bio of the President at the time named Roscoe Lee Provost and his four sons. Mr. Provost started working for Unagusta in 1909. By the way, he was a golfer and a member of the Masonic Order. His first son Ralph L was a Rotarian, second son W.H. was mayor of Hazelwood for three terms, His third son J.A. was a Rotarian, and his fourth son W.S. was a member of the Lions Club. It seems that they didn't like to socialize together. No other information on the company or the furniture made is given. Perhaps some of our readers will have additional information. You might also make some calls to the Hazelwood Chamber of Commerce or a public library in the area if you really want to do some sleuthing. -Russell