Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Where is Victoriaville Furniture Manuf?

Hello. We have inherited a bedroom suite from my M/inlaw and would like to know more about it. It seems Art Deco and the build stamp on the inside of a chest of drawers says the manufacturer is "Victoriaville Furniture Manufacturing" (Quebec).

Is there a site I can go to that will outline the area's furniture-making companies from the 1940's~50's?

I have some photos of the item if that helps in determining the style and vintage.

Thanks, Dale

Posted By Dale, 3/5/2008

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From tink, 10/20/2012  2:27 AM

WOW. Ive just bought a dining room cabinet and have been trying to find out about this brand. Im in Australia and Id never heard of it, then I find out its Canadian. Nearly real French :)! lol  I would be grateful if I could find out more!

From marina, 5/7/2012  12:47 PM

Re Chris, 5/31/2011  -  

I have the Viscol Victoriaville small dining table with chairs, hutch and buffet, with man and woman toiling in the field inlaid in the doors.  When I purchased it in the 70s in Quebec, a real estate agent and a mover both wanted to buy it.  Think I'm about ready to sell as down-sizing, although still like the design.

From Sbondy20, 1/7/2012  11:11 AM

Hi,
I am new to this site. I was just wondering if you were able to find information on Viscol furniture? I recently purchased a dresser and mirror. The dresser has very unique handles..the shape of a check mark. Judging by the tag, it may be from 1958. I am in the process of refinishing it...very solid and looks great. I know very little about types of wood and was wondering if anyone knows what type of wood they typically used in their furniture at that time.

From Dale, 8/3/2011  4:53 PM

I love this thread! I have a 9 drawer dresser with matching mirror that my parents picked up over 15 years ago. The finish was in bad shape so they refinished it completely, and 15 years later it is still beautiful. It has three small drawers down the middle with knobs, and 3 drawers on each side that pull out from the bottom. I think it is 1960s. I am in the hateful process of trying to sell this lovely set because I am moving. If anyone in Ottawa is interested in owning this pair, I'd love to know!

From chris, 5/31/2011  2:16 PM

We bought a viscol victoriaville specialties co. ltd. corner cabinet, old quebec style repro with carved man and woman in field on the bottom doors. We bought it in 1974 in a furniture store in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec for about $250.00. It came with large and small china cabinets, tables and chairs which could all be bought separately. We were living in a small apt. so only bought the corner cabinet, which we still own. A nice piece of furniture.

From p, 4/18/2011  7:40 AM

Purchased a dresser 9/24/1969 paper label on back. Oak finish, The frame is classic, dare I say contemporary, 6 of the drawer faces have classic frame moldings, and the 3 center drawers have decorative applied pieces. Similarly there is a small amount of water damage causing the grain to be raised on a front top corner. And again similarly I will be painting the dresser. Appears to be wonderful quality, very solidly built. Purchased in a "Habitat for Humanity" store for $15.00.

From Marylyn, 11/19/2010  3:26 PM

When I saw this blog, I knew I had to become a part of it. I have a very unique vanity with a large sculptured bevelled mirror and vanity stool. They all say they came from the Victoriaville Furniture store in Victoriaville PQ. I've owned this vanity and stool for many years (since I was a girl). It is very unique. I also have a side board and china cabinet with solid door that say they are from the same place. Does anyone know the history of this furniture store? When were they in business (period)? When did they go out of business? Who was the owner, etc.

From dj_cityboy, 11/6/2010  3:59 PM

Hmmmmm this really must be a club...lol, i just obtained a piece of furniture by Viscol as well, it was on the side of the road, it has 3 drawers in the front and doors on the side with 2 mirrors, i have been trying to find some info about this company as well. the back of my piece has a sticker on it with these markings..

Date: 12/2/71
Mobilier: 268
Meuble: TDR66
Fini ROSEW
Ordre No:338

the three drawers have "Viscol Victoriaville Specialties" burned in them as well, any info would be great!

From catherine mitchell, 10/2/2010  5:12 PM

hi, i just bought a vintage dresser not very large 4 drawer, beige (gold dominance to the finish) the drawers all have their handles and the legs front and back are different.
1367-chest 32 11866 are the numbers on the back. the name in the top drawer is from this company do you know anything you can tell me i would appreciate it very much. catherine and brad

From Charlene, 9/28/2010  11:24 AM

Hi I have a Buffet and Hutch tag says it was built July 8 1974,5065d/buf/man/816 vio art victoriaville furnature limited.I would like more info on this item.Can anyone help.I would like to sell it.

From heidi, 9/26/2010  3:32 PM

I just rescued a "chifforobe" made by Victoriaville Furniture, from the Goodwil. It has 835-1/2 -Chifforobe stencilled, as well as 29-8-50 (date of manufacture) on the back. The wood veneer has some damage, so I may paint it, but the hardware is all intact.
The label attached to the back has Victoriaville Furniture, Quebec printed on it and The Morris Furniture Company typed underneath - presumably the store it was sold to?
Any info would be appreciated - I am fascinated by th e idea of knowing more. Thanks!

From Angela, 5/2/2010  6:22 PM

I too bought a beautiful 4 drawers dresser for my bedroom from craiglist. i bought it because of how beautiful it looks. I only notice the stamp which said Viscol by Victoriaville Speciaties until I brought it home. I thought it was 50's and 60's but according to other posts, seems like mine might be from the 40's as well. My dresser have beautiful blackish colour with wood grain showing through. I thought someone has restained it but if this is the original finish, I will definitely keep the colour. I am excited to know more about the history of the company.

From Janice, 4/24/2010  4:03 PM

I also am from Edmonton, and own one item, a 9 drawer dresser, Viscol by Victoriaville, in very good condition, medium brown in color. No one seems to have much info on the company yet. I am wanting to sell it, I am now in an apartment and out of room.

From Karen, 2/15/2010  2:54 PM

I have a make-up vanity with mirror and jewlery box stool. It is in excellent condition and the booklet from Victoriaville Furniture is still attched to the back of the mirror.
Just wondering what it is worth.

From otessier, 7/25/2009  10:18 AM

I have a wardrobe -   Unique carved front panels
Old mand on one and old woman working in fields
It is marked on back Viscol Victoriaville Specialties
Would like infor on where Company originated and
possible value

From JANE, 7/19/2009  12:28 PM

I inherited a beautiful 6 piece bedroom suite and it is very elaborate and the carving of it is gorgeous. It looks medival, big headboard,
long dressser with 2 mirrors, 2 big night stands and huge wardrobe, I placed an ad in kijji if u want to see pics under 6 piece bedroom suite,. It said victoriaville on the wardrobe, I'd like some info please, It is in excellent condition.

From Glenn, 7/8/2009  4:22 PM

I have a oak vanity and on it it says I think Victoriaville furniture Limited and the logo is VFLtd branded/burned into it. Does anyone know anything about this company.

From Anne, 1/28/2009  4:50 PM

Glad to say that I too just purchased a beautiful dining room set, double pedestal table for 6 with attached leaf, six chairs with matching sideboard and matching tall hutch...no one has been on like it before and the sideboard has the shipping label for the original owner stating VictoriaVille Furniture, Que and Victoria Modern Furniture.    It is in such great shape I thought it might be refinished.    Looks to be Art Deco with Mahagony wood or wood veneer. Very nice and would love to know the history.

From Joyce, 9/28/2008  9:59 AM

I also have a 9 piece dining room set Victoriaville Que.Have had the set for about 8 years now.Just decided to sell cant seem to find any info.It has inlaid wood,orig.red leather on seats of 6 chairs,one chair has arms .Anyone with any info please e-mail me.

From Jennfer, 9/3/2008  4:45 PM

My mother bought a few dressers from a garage sale they appear to be very old even before the 1940's era, they are very unique pieces and in great conditon. I was wondering if anyone would know of someone who could look at them to see what their worth is.

From Stephany, 9/1/2008  11:56 PM

I have also just purchased a 9 drawer dresser like the one Tracy described - I was going to put in in my 11 year old's bedroom, but like it so much, I'll be using it in mine! My husband is french canadian, so I love that we now have a little piece of Quebec art deco. Anyone find more info on the company yet?

From Linda, 8/10/2008  1:38 PM

Hi Tracy

Looks like we belong to your club! Sounds like the very same set we just aquired. We are also trying to find out any history on them. Did you have any luck yet?
Do you have any pictures you could send me. I would love to see it! If we find anything further I will post it!

From Loretta, 7/5/2008  11:36 AM

This is gorgeous furniture of very good quality. I have a Viscol Victoriaville Specialties Co Ltd., 11 peice dining room suite for sale. The era is the 60's and mine is stamped 9/6/69. I am in Edmonton AB now, but purchased my set on Vanouver Island, BC in 2000 for $1800.00.
I am asking $1200.00 for the entire set now, as the table and chairs need to be refinished. You cannot buy a new set similar for under $4,800. The china cabinet (buffet and hutch) is still in excellent condition and is so beautiful, but I am in a very small house with too much furniture now.
Email me if you would like to know more at goodtalkingtoyou@gmail.com
Hope this info helps.

From Danika, 5/9/2008  11:02 AM

I'm searching for info on Viscol product by victorialville specialties co ltd too!... I recently purchased an amazing dining suite with table, chairs and side board/buffet. I think its art deco, late 40s early 50s maybe but not sure. The wood finish is blackish but the grain shows through, I'm guessing thats viscol? The chairs have the original deep red vinyl on the seats, the table has a grey/white early formica type finish (not sure what Canadians call it? I'm from NZ) The side board is just awesome, its very 40s angular looking with glass cabinate on the top, turquoise inside, hidden drawer underneath with makers stamp in it and under that is two cupboard doors with central circular carved handles. I love it, its so unique and it seems we all have some rare pieces of Canadian retro history.

From tracy, 4/7/2008  12:24 AM

well it looks like we may have started a club!!
i too purchased a 9 drawer dresser...6 drawers are handle pull-outs and the other 3 are behind a sliding door and have no handles. it is very unique. the 3 behind the sliding door are on the left hand side.
in the top left hand drawer is branded in:
viscol product by victoriaville specialties co ltd.
i have searched and found next to nothing...where's the information on this?? i'll keep looking and if i find anything i will post the information here!!!
happy hunting!!

From Pamela, 3/16/2008  2:35 AM

Hey Dale:

I just posted this here under a different subject. Sounds like we may have similar items!

-----------------------

I picked up a two dresser and head board set at an auction. They all have Victoriaville Specialties 'branded' into them. I purchased them for their art deco / 1960s style.

They have a very unusual pearl grey finish on the top that is flaking off in some spots where there was water damage. It's unusual in that the pattern of the wood is showing through it. Varnish or stain? I'm not sure which!

The black areas of the items seem to be of a sturdier finish but it still chips when it gets clipped with the drawers opening.

Their value to me is in their unique design rather than any date or manufacuture. For what it's worth I only paid a dollar for the set!